[AISWorld] Nik Rushdi Hassan - SIGPhil's Philosophical dialogues: the story behind the work with Nik Rushdi Hassan

SANTA, Mijalche mijalche at santa.mk
Tue Sep 14 01:58:16 EDT 2021

"SIGPhil's Philosophical dialogues: the story behind the work" is an AIS
SIGPhil's activity to promote the philosophical discourse in IS field.

The purpose of the SIGPhil's podcasts "Philosophical dialogues: the
story behind the work" is to go behind the published work and seek
answers to why philosophy, how philosophy, when philosophy and with
whom. Together with the quests talking about their experience we will
explore the history, the ideas, the reasoning, the process, the
challenges and the funny things that happened and made contribution to
what they did and published. We will also discuss what did not got
published and the future of their philosophical work. All that in 45 to
60 minutes.

If you want to engage or just explore the philosophy of science in
information systems you should listen these podcasts.

Today I talk with prof. Nik Rushdi Hassan. Nik Rushdi Hassan is
associate professor of Management Information Systems (MIS) at the
Labovitz School of Business and Economics (LSBE), University of
Minnesota Duluth. With his 10 years of experience in the industry he
began his academic career in two areas: investigating the philosophical
foundations of the information systems (IS) field, and information
technology (IT)-enabled business process innovations and modeling (BPM).
Nik's research on the philosophical foundations of the IS field inspires
studies on the field's disciplinarity, conceptual development and
intellectual structures, core concepts of IS development (ISD),
scientometric practices in IS, and more recently theorizing and theory
building in IS. He has published extensively on philosophical aspects in
IS in top journals. He has served as President of the Association of
Information Systems (AIS) Special Interest Group on Philosophy in
Information Systems (SIGPhil)  and is currently Senior Editor of the
Journal of Information Technology and the Data Base for Advances in
Information Systems, and Associate Editor for the History and Philosophy
Department of the Communications of the AIS. Nik is recognised as moving
force behind the philosophical discourse in IS field and here we talk
about his experience.

Today with prof. Hassan we talk about how philosophy can improve IS
offering to the world, why we have not answered the same questions, how
philosophy can provide a perspective to better perform your research and
why the rapid changes of the field are not an excuse and much more. With
this it is my pleasure to bring you prof. Hassan.

You can listen the podcast on the following link
https://anchor.fm/mijalche-santa/episodes/Nik-Rushdi-Hassan-SIGPhils-Philosophical-dialogues-e17b3og

If you missed you can also listen the podcasts with Devinder Bahadur
Thapa, Mikko Siponen, Amir Haj-Bolouri, Dubravka Cecez-Kecmanovic, John
Mingers, Jan Recker, Shirley Gregor, Bo Dahlbom, Brian Butler and Allen
S Lee at
- https://anchor.fm/mijalche-santa
- https://open.spotify.com/show/6lfVSrrVBS3F2kBbN4LRgK
- https://pcr.apple.com/id1554436795

Stay tuned

Mijalche Santa
on behalf of AIS SIGPhil team

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  .   .   .    .
gOaL: mAkiNg ToDay W O R T H

Mijalche Santa, Ph.D. (he/him/his)
Vice-Dean for Science and International Cooperation and Associate
Professor
Faculty of Economics - Skopje
Ss. Cyril and Methodius University in Skopje
mijalche.santa at eccf.ukim.edu.mk
mijalche at santa.mk
00389 2 3286 857