[AISWorld] CfP - Sustainability - Special Issue on "Business Process Automation and Innovation"

Vladislav Fomin vvfomin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 07:04:43 EDT 2022

Dear Ralf, Amy,

While I do not have an intension to discourage ISWORLD community to submit to the SI advertised here, I cannot abstain from sharing the evidence I came across recently…

The evidence I came across recently is mildly speaking. It concerns this particular journal (Sustainability) and the MDPI as a publisher. I believe not many scholars are aware of what is going on with MDPI - you might wish to look into the ongoing discussions on the web and some analysis (for example: https://paolocrosetto.wordpress.com/2021/04/12/is-mdpi-a-predatory-publisher/ <https://paolocrosetto.wordpress.com/2021/04/12/is-mdpi-a-predatory-publisher/>):

- MDPI now runs almost 400 journals and submission-to-publication term ACROSS all journals is about 1 MONTH.
- Sustainability announces 9 special issues PER DAY.
- Only in 2021 Sustainability published 15000 (fifteen thousand) papers!
- Publishing a paper is ONLY possible by paying 2000 CHF fee...

At this volume/rate, there is no way the journal’s editorial board (or anyone else) can have any sensible control over the quality or content of the papers. As a matter of fact, this week I received an invitation to be a Guest Editor for the Special Issue with the thematics which outside of scope of my expertise… It is this and few other “strange things” about Sustainability made me to do a mini-research on this journal and its publisher. For example, I found out that the same scholars organize SEVERAL Special Issues PER ANNUM and in EACH of their organized SIs publish 3-5 of THEIR OWN papers! This led me assume there are discounts/waivers on the publication fee offered to the Guest Editors of the SIs...

In Lithuania, as in many other countries, Sustainability is considered a high-quality journal, as it belongs to Q2 according to Clarivate journal rankings. I guess once the publisher has 400 journals in their portfolio, they can keep the high citation index by cross-referencing from one journal to another. This my conjecture is partially supported by Clarivate journal citation reports data (see the attached). The number of citations of Sustainability has dropped by half in 2020, as compared to 2019 - perhaps due to the growing awareness of scholars about the problem. Also, the percentage of citations from the same journal made almost 50% of the total volume of the citation… What percentage of the “non-self citations” is made by other MDPI journals we do not know...

I will be happy to learn my concerns are unsubstantiated - I hope the Guest Editors of this SI and other members of ISWORLd can share their thought and experience on this forum.

Sincerely

Vladislav

> https://paolocrosetto.wordpress.com/2021/04/12/is-mdpi-a-predatory-publisher/ <https://paolocrosetto.wordpress.com/2021/04/12/is-mdpi-a-predatory-publisher/>

> On 2022-04-22, at 12:49, Ralf Plattfaut <plattfaut.ralf at fh-swf.de> wrote:
>
> +++ Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this email. Please
> distribute to interested parties +++
>

> Dear colleagues,
>

> We are kindly inviting submissions to the special issue on “Business Process
> Automation and Innovation” in Sustainability.
>

> Sustainability is an open access journal, indexed within Scopus and SSCI/Web
> of Science and ranked C according to VHB-Jourqual 3.
>

> All details of the call can be found here:
> https://www.mdpi.com/journal/sustainability/special_issues/Business_Process_
> Automation_and_Innovation and below this email.
>

> Deadline is 30th of April 2023 – we welcome early submissions.
>

> Kind regards,
>

> Ralf
>

> +++ CFP +++
>
> Business processes constitute a core concept in modern management. They can
> be understood as “a collection of inter-related events, activities, and
> decision points that involve a number of actors and objects, which
> collectively lead to an outcome that is of value to at least one customer”
> (Dumas et al., 2018, p. 6). Their optimization in terms of automation and
> innovation is of tremendous importance for organizations.
>
> In the last decade, sustainability has become a crucial goal for the
> optimization of business processes (Seidel et al. 2014, vom Brocke et al.
> 2012). First, processes themselves need to be sustainable. Second,
> capabilities for process automation and innovation need to be sustainable.
> Third, the effects of an increasing automation of business processes also
> have effects with regards to sustainability goals. These sustainability
> goals cover all three bottom lines of the triple bottom line model (i.e.,
> economic, environmental, and social goals).
>
> Digital means create more opportunities for the automation and innovation of
> business processes. However, we also see that these digital means have an
> impact on the sustainability of both organizations in general and business
> processes in specific. For instance, processes using Robotic Process
> Automation are prone to failure when the underlying core systems change
> (Syed et al., 2020), or process mining in healthcare runs the risk of
> compromising the privacy of patients (Pika et al., 2020). Alternatively,
> exogenous shocks in the environment require a higher degree of process
> innovation (Röglinger et al. 2022).
>
> As such, more research on the intersection of sustainability and business
> process automation and innovation is needed.
>
> In this call, we motivate research at the intersection of sustainability and
> business process automation and innovation. We welcome research from all
> traditions, different theoretical perspectives, and across different
> [...]

—
Vladislav V. Fomin

Distinguished Professor
Vilnius University
Kaunas Faculty

Visiting Professor
University of Latvia
Faculty of Computing

Editor-in-Chief: Information & Media
https://www.journals.vu.lt/im

Phone (mobile): +370 648 58 113

<vvfomin at gmail.com>

http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=HcCLovoAAAAJ

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Vladislav_Fomin

ORCID https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8423-2500
~

"Faith and reason are like two wings on which the human spirit rises to contemplation of the truth"
                                                                                                                                                        St. John Paul II