[AISWorld] Tenure Track Assistant/Associate position at University of San Francisco, Dept. of Business Analytics & Information Systems

Kourosh Dadgar kourosh.daadgar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 15:27:05 EST 2022

Note:

Search committee members will be present at DSI. Email Kourosh at
mdadgar at usfca.edu to schedule an informational meeting/interview at DSI.

Job Title:
Assistant / Associate Professor, Dept. of Business Analytics & Information
Systems

Job Summary:
Start Date: August 1, 2023 (Faculty due on campus Aug. 17, classes begin
Tuesday, Aug. 22, 2023).

Position: The School of Management at the University of San Francisco is
accepting applicants for a tenure-track faculty position in the Department
of Business Analytics and Information Systems, teaching in the graduate or
undergraduate program or both.

The business world is in a time of great change, with the analytics
revolution driving the transformation of all aspects of business. The San
Francisco Bay Area is at the epicenter of these changes, and here at USF we
have a great opportunity – and responsibility – to prepare our students to
thrive in this world.

Person: We seek an individual excited about teaching undergraduate and
graduate business students, conducting high-quality research, and being an
active part of a dynamic community of teachers and scholars. We prefer to
add a colleague with leadership skills who is interested in helping us
continue to grow and develop innovative programs to serve the University
and the broader community.

Full Job Description:

*Teaching*: Candidates must demonstrate strong potential for teaching
excellence along with a desire to collaborate with other faculty teaching
multiple sections of the same course consistently and developing new
electives and curricula. Skills in teaching business analytics, operation
and production systems in organizations, management information systems,
and/or programming in SQL and Python are highly desirable. Classes are
typically 4 units or 2 units (which meet only half the semester).  36
credits every two academic years which will be best covered with the
schedule of two classes for three semesters and 3 classes in one semester.
Every new faculty member starts with teaching classes that require only one
preparation.

*Business Context*: It is essential that the candidate be socialized to
business and have a strong understanding of how technical knowledge and
capabilities are used to create and communicate actionable managerial
insight to drive business outcomes. We strongly prefer candidates with
substantial relevant work experience and/or research directly related to
the practice of their discipline. The ideal candidate will be motivated to
participate in courses and programs that are closely aligned with current
and emerging business trends.

*Scholarship*: We seek teacher-scholars with a strong interest in research
that is grounded in business practice. We are particularly interested in
candidates with expertise in the use of analytics, information systems
(IS), and technologies to drive business process change. Candidates must
demonstrate potential for an active research agenda.

*Requirements for Position*: The successful candidate must have completed a
research doctorate in Operations Management, Information Systems,
Industrial Engineering, Management Science, Operations Research,
Statistics, Computer Science, Applied Economics, or a related field from an
accredited university. Applicants who are currently doctoral students must
be on course to complete all degree requirements by July 31, 2023.

As a Jesuit institution, diversity, equity, and inclusion are fully
embraced at all levels of the University.  An applicant interested in a
position in the business analytics and information systems department must
have a strong lens of equity and experience working with diverse students,
faculty, and staff. According to the *US News and World Report* USF is
among the top 20 most diverse universities in the country. In addition,
applicants should have a demonstrated ability or plan to cultivate an
inclusive classroom and working environment that would support USF's Jesuit
mission <https://myusf.usfca.edu/mission-council/mission-statement>.

*The School of Management*: Our school offers bachelor and master degree
programs in business, information systems, nonprofit, and public
administration. The school has accreditation from AACSB, NASPAA, and
WASC. The undergraduate program is based on the Hilltop Campus (2130 Fulton
Street, San Francisco, CA 94117) in Malloy Hall, a modern, purpose-built
facility with classrooms, offices, and gathering spaces. Graduate programs
are housed in a modernized historic building in downtown San Francisco (101
Howard St San Francisco, CA 94105).  This facility is within walking
distance of many leading technology companies, a thriving startup
community, and a number of well-established companies in financial
services, retailing, hospitality, and other industries.

It is an exciting time to be at the University of San Francisco’s School of
Management. Our MBA program was recently ranked as one of the top 100 in
the world by *US News and World Report* overall and as one of the top 25
MBAs for business analytics. Our new full-time MS in Information Systems is
thriving, as is our undergraduate major in Business Analytics. Working here
offers the opportunity to participate in a collaborative and supportive
environment with colleagues who have substantial business experience and
research expertise. The school welcomes inter-disciplinary and
practice-oriented scholarship, as well as discipline-based and theoretical
academic research. SOM's vision is that it will “lead transformation toward
a more inclusive, equitable, and prosperous world."

*The University of San Francisco*: Since 1855, the University of San
Francisco has dedicated itself to offering daring and dynamic educational
programs. USF is committed to being a premier Jesuit Catholic, urban
university with a global perspective. We are committed to educating hearts
and minds to cultivate the whole person, to pursuing learning as a lifelong
humanizing and liberating social activity, and to making excellence the
standard for teaching, scholarship, creative expression, and service.
Inspired by a faith that believes in and strives for justice, we endeavor
to humbly and responsibly engage with and contribute to the cultural,
intellectual, economic and spiritual vitality of the San Francisco Bay Area
and of the global communities to which we belong.

The University of San Francisco is entering into the second year of a
faculty diversity hiring initiative. During the first year 68% of new
full-time faculty hires were Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPoC),
compared to 36% of our current full-time faculty. Junior BIPoC faculty are
invited to participate in a supportive cohort, and receive mentoring,
community building and peer-to-peer opportunities coordinated by the Vice
Provost for Equity, Inclusion and Faculty Excellence. In addition, all new
faculty have access to a free membership with the National Center for
Faculty Development and Diversity
<https://myusf.usfca.edu/crase/national-center-for-faculty-development-and-diversity>
and support from the Center for Teaching Excellence and Center for
Research, Artistic, and Scholarly Excellence <https://www.usfca.edu/crase>.

The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified
applicants with disabilities upon request. USF's vision is that it "will be
internationally recognized as a premier Jesuit Catholic, urban University
with a global perspective that educates leaders who will fashion a more
humane and just world."

Special Instructions to Applicants

Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, copies
of scholarly work, transcripts (including a list of graduate courses
taken), a statement of teaching philosophy, a statement of current
research, a diversity statement, evidence of teaching ability (including
teaching evaluations), and three letters of reference. Review of the
applications starts in late November and continues until the qualified
applicant is selected by the search committee. Applicants can contact
Kourosh Dadgar at mdadgar at usfca.edu for more information.

Recommendation letters can be submitted with other application materials on
the application system or they can be emailed to Kourosh Dadgar at
mdadgar at usfca.edu with the Subject of "USF IS/BA recommendation letter".
The search committee requests for letters at the interview step if they are
not submitted by the selected applicants.

Apply here:
https://usfca.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/USF_Full-Time_Faculty/job/USF-Hilltop-Campus/Assistant---Associate-Professor--Dept-of-Business-Analytics---Information-Systems_R0006775-2