[AISWorld] core "Tech" course in MBA program: textbook and AI coverage

Marc, Max Max.Marc at bhsu.edu
Tue Feb 13 14:08:28 EST 2024

Greetings,

I'm seeking your advice and suggestions related to two issues in the core "Tech" course in a U.S. MBA program:

  *   Textbook recommendations
  *   AI (outline of what to cover)

Please email me directly. I'll compile all your recommendations into a doc (with credit to the recommender), and after a week I'll send the compilation to everyone who sends me a recommendation. Additionally I'll send it to anyone else who sends me an email requesting this compilation.

---------------------------

Textbook recommendations

I'm looking for something that is:
- a fun read (comic-book/graphic-novel formats are welcome),
- not too long (little to no page-filling fluff),
- packed with short case studies (with realistic dilemmas),
...and contains assignments that have a low grading load (clear rubrics for both the doer and the grader, can be graded easily, etc.).

The closest I've come so far is this book: "The Adventures of an IT Leader by Robert D. Austin et al., updated 2016 edition".

It doesn't have to be a "textbook textbook". It could be general business/IT audience book that could be used as a textbook.

---------------------------

AI

The dilemma: AI has added a new wrinkle to our curricula. The issue is how to cover the topic. Teach it at one level, and it seems too airy. Teach it at a much deeper level, and it requires math skills that MBA students may not have (or may not be interested in acquiring).

Please submit your advice and suggestions on issues such as:
- your suggested outline of how AI should be covered (references to specific YouTube videos and online posts are welcome),
- to what level of depth?
- what percent of a core "Tech" course in an MBA should "focus solely" on AI? (And of course, I completely understand that some would suggest that AI be touched on in 100% of such a course).
- and anything else not covered above

Regards,
- MM

Professor - Management Information Systems
School of Business - Black Hills State University
Spearfish - South Dakota