[AISWorld] Contents of Volume 17, Issue 10 (October) Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS)

JAIS JAIS at comm.virginia.edu
Sat Oct 29 19:32:38 EDT 2016

Contents of Volume 17, Issue 10 (October) Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS), Official Publication of the Association for Information Systems
Published: Monthly Electronically
ISSN: 1536-9323
Published by the Association for Information Systems, Atlanta, USA (http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/)

Editor-in-Chief:  Professor Suprateek Sarker, University of Virginia, USA

Paper
Why Individuals Participate in Micro-task Crowdsourcing Work Environment: Revealing Crowdworkers’ Perceptions

Xuefei (Nancy) Deng, California State University, Dominguez Hills
K. D. Joshi, Washington State University

Abstract
Advancements in Internet and digital technologies have enabled a new work form of open sourcing, which we refer to as the crowdsourcing work environment (CSWE). This new form of work has the potential to disrupt and transform the nature of traditional work. However, our understanding of this new work form is still in its incipient stage. To enhance our understanding, this study captures crowdworkers’ perceptions to explore the characteristics of the crowdworkers, crowdsourcing jobs, and the crowdwork environment that collectively drive the crowdworkers to participate in open source work. Guided by the job characteristic theory and work value perspectives, we used the revealed causal mapping method to analyze narratives by 55 crowdworkers registered on Amazon Mechanical Turk (MTurk). Our data analysis uncovered nine main constructs, 22 key concepts, and 815 causal-effect linkages surrounding CSWE that could guide our theoretical understanding of this emerging phenomenon. Individual needs and the crowdwork context emerged as the major factors motivating individuals’ initial participation in CSWE, but we found crowdsourcing task characteristics (e.g., job autonomy, task variety, task significance, task instruction, and task compensation) and a digitally enabled environment (e.g., system affordance and MTurk governance) to shape crowdworkers’ continued participation in CSWE. The findings suggest several promising research streams, including the psychological factors (i.e., personal growth needs and work values) and social outcomes (i.e., empowerment or exploitation of crowdworkers) for examining the psychology and sociology of crowdsourcing work.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol17/iss10/3/

Paper
The Effects of Information Request Language and Template Usage on Query Formulation

Leo Vijayasarathy, Colorado State University
Gretchen Irwin Casterella, Colorado State University

Abstract
The ability to retrieve accurate information from relational databases requires proficiency in structured query language (SQL). In spite of its declarative nature, teaching and learning SQL for complex data-retrieval tasks remains a challenge. Cognitive load theory (CLT) explains the interactions between working and long-term memories in acquiring complex knowledge and skills. We used CLT to identify two instructional interventions expected to improve query writing performance under conditions of high and low query (code) complexity. First, we presented information requests in pseudo-SQL language rather than manager English to clarify the relevant elements in the data model. Second, we provided a query template as an intermediate problem-solving step prior to coding. We conducted an experiment with 63 student participants in a 2 x 2 x 2 repeated measures design in which the request language was either pseudo SQL or manager English, the task included a query template or did not, and the task had either low or high query (code) complexity. Results show that both request language and template usage significantly affected query writing performance but in different situations. Pseudo SQL requests had a significant positive impact on query accuracy with less complex queries but had no impact with more complex queries. On the other hand, using a query template prior to writing SQL code improved task performance with more complex queries but not with less complex queries. We discuss the implications of these findings for instructional design and future research.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol17/iss10/2/

Paper
A Rift in the Ground: Theorizing the Evolution of Anchor Values in Crowdfunding Communities through the Oculus Rift Case Study

Rob Gleasure, Cork University Business School, University College Cork, Ireland
Joseph Feller, Cork University Business School, University College Cork, Ireland

Abstract
Recently, many people have discussed crowdfunding’s role in developing new products and new businesses. However, crowdfunding is driven not only by economics but also by a set of shared values; values that unite communities of funders and anchor them to specific projects. We theorize how these anchor values evolve by analyzing one extreme case, specifically the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset developer kits. The Oculus Rift had significant success on Kickstarter fundraising and generating interest in virtual reality. However, they also caused controversy when the company was subsequently sold to Facebook for US$2 billion, a move that some argued contradicted the principles of crowdfunding. We perform a grounded theory analysis of public discourse from mid-2012 to mid-2014. That analysis suggests the Kickstarter community’s response to events around the Oculus Rift was ultimately self-preservational in nature whereby that community adapted their perceived values around the Oculus Rift to maintain a distinctive and sustainable collective identity. Finally, we relate these findings to existing research on organizational identity and stakeholder engagement.

To obtain a copy of the entire article, click on the link below:
http://aisel.aisnet.org/jais/vol17/iss10/1/

Elizabeth White Baker, PhD
Production Managing Editor, Journal of the AIS
jais at comm.virginia.edu