[AISWorld] [External] Re: "IS not capable of coming up with native theories" says its senior scholar

Nik Rushdi Hassan nhassan at d.umn.edu
Sun Dec 12 19:24:08 EST 2021

Dear all,
Interesting discussions folks. Quite revealing!
My two cents (even cheaper than Kalle's 5 cents) opinion revolves around
the notion of "native" theory, which is the same thing as saying "original"
theories from the IS field, as opposed to derivative, borrowed theories
that are rather prevalent. We want native theories because we think we have
the unique training and capabilities to bridge the technical and the social
(see Supra's sociotechnical axes of cohesion article in MISQ) and therefore
offer solutions (Mikko's empirical successes) that other disciplines might
not be able to address. The division of labor of expertise has always
worked that way since time immemorial. The question is, if we are in an
interdisciplinary team with other disciplines, how do we articulate what we
bring to the plate by way of expertise? That's where native theories come
into picture.
Nik

--
Home Page: www.d.umn.edu/~nhassan