[IRIS] 3rd Call for Papers. The 45th Information Systems Research Seminar in Scandinavia

Jacob Nørbjerg jno.digi at cbs.dk
Fri Mar 25 09:31:10 EDT 2022

NOTE: Submission deadline extended. See below.

Apologies for cross posting

The IRIS seminar dates to 1978 and is a well-established community where you can build and sustain your Scandinavian IS network.

IRIS is famous for its informal and egalitarian (= Scandinavian) atmosphere where it is easy to present and discuss your research. All papers are discussed in a working group and have been read by the other group members beforehand. Hence there are no long presentations followed by a short discussion; most of the time dedicated to your paper (45 - 60 minutes) will be used for feedback and discussion in your working group.

Furthermore, every author submitting a paper is automatically signed up for acting as reviewer for 2-3 other papers.

While most participants are from the Nordic countries, we welcome researchers from all parts of the world to the conference, bringing along and delivering other than the Nordic perspectives on IS into the discussion.

The Thirteenth Scandinavian Conference on Information Systems (SCIS) is held in conjunction with IRIS. SCIS is a more traditional and formal conference with proceedings and presentations in the 'classic' way. The two conferences are seen as a full package meaning that participants register and participate in both events.

Conference theme
Workforce Leadership in the Age of Digital Transformation

Digitalization is changing the world. Information systems (IS), software applications and other technologies take central stage in this change. They enable new working practices and processes, new services and business models and prompts many opportunities and challenges (Newell et al., 2020). Individuals, organizations, and societies respond to those changes, with new and innovative ways of doing things (Vial, 2019; Baskerville et al., 2020). In sum, several phenomena are being reassessed in terms of how they are increasingly shaped by digital technologies, i.e., become digital (Baskerville et al. 2020). When seizing digital opportunities, leaders are increasingly required to focus on their workforce in terms of well-being, flexibility, autonomy, meaningful work, life-balance and flatter organizational structures (Trenerry et al., 2020, Passmore et al., 2019). As we move toward platform based eco-systems and a network based economy of gig-workers using artificial intelligence to make decisions, 3-D printing and robotics to manufacture products, and cloud based capabilities, how we lead in the age of digital transformation and simultaneously address the technical and social aspects of organizations becomes even more important (Passmore et al., 2019). How to motivate, engage and take good care of the workforce will take center stage in successful digital transformation.

We believe that the IS-research community is well equipped to come up with answers and insights in this - in nature - sociotechnical landscape (Sarker et al., 2019; Clemmensen & Bjørn-Andersen, 2017). The theme of the 13th Scandinavian Conference of Information Systems and 45th IRIS is thus: Workforce Leadership in the Age of Digital Transformation.

We seek research that address the opportunities, challenges and long-term implications. This could potentially cover how organizational hierarchies are overturned and replaced with flatter and distributed agile frameworks, or how absorptive capacity and self-management are being implemented. It could also engage with how flexibility, innovative capabilities and performance is improved or orchestrated and how technostress, resistance and digital fatigue is approached.

SCIS/IRIS has a tradition of cross-disciplinarity, openness, and inclusion. We therefore welcome a plurality of voices and themes that engage with our theme and seek to construct new insights and explanations. We solicit rigorous qualitative and/or quantitative empirical studies as well as conceptual contributions that expand on or call into question existing conceptions of leadership in digital transformation. We also welcome submissions that engage with surfacing the substantial new questions and challenges that digital transformation entails. In line with the SCIS/IRIS tradition, we also welcome papers that target general IS topics.

Conference venue
Bymose Hegn, Helsinge, Denmark

Conference website: https://irisscis2022.cbs.dk/<https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Firisscis2022.cbs.dk%2F&data=04%7C01%7C%7C1cc87349030147c9b66e08d9d76e236a%7C875c414e5d004cdbb77adeae5d6ab201%7C1%7C0%7C637777690315592285%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=zY%2FCpGyEuFHLC%2FUOCQbqFCsxiXt5zn5C8LXXp%2FBcvf4%3D&reserved=0>

Papers are not to exceed 6000 words/15 pages
Submission instructions and template: https://irisscis2022.cbs.dk/?page_id=42<https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Firisscis2022.cbs.dk%2F%3Fpage_id%3D42&data=04%7C01%7C%7C1cc87349030147c9b66e08d9d76e236a%7C875c414e5d004cdbb77adeae5d6ab201%7C1%7C0%7C637777690315592285%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=zgvCKK4nPPC3emfN3EwakUNfBNtqOvWdec5FQI7HGGg%3D&reserved=0>

Important dates

•      April 8, 2022: Submissions due (extended deadline)

•      April 28, 2022. Reviews due

•      May 2, 2022: Notification of acceptance for IRIS

•      May 31, 2022: Submission of final versions

•      May 31, 2022: Deadline for early bird registration to the conference

•      June 17, 2022: Latest registration date

•      August 14-17, 2022: SCIS/IRIS, Bymose Hegn, Helsinge, Denmark

Conference chairs

Jan Pries-Heje, Roskilde University. janph at ruc.dk<mailto:janph at ruc.dk>

Jacob Nørbjerg, Copenhagen Business School, jno.digi at cbs.dk<mailto:jno.digi at cbs.dk>

Louise Harder Fischer, IT University of Copenhagen, louf at itu.dk<mailto:louf at itu.dk>