[AISWorld] Annoucing the publication of AIS THCI Vol2 No2 and Calls for Papers of Special Issues

Ping Zhang pzhang at syr.edu
Thu Jul 1 23:48:15 EDT 2010

Announcing the Publication of
Volume 2 number 2 of AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction
(http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci)

We are proud to announce the publication of the 2nd issue for 2010, and calls for papers of several special issues.

THCI is located within the AIS (Association for Information Systems) e-library (http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci). To increase awareness and readership, THCI is freely available to everyone during its first two years of publishing (2009 and 2010). You can find information related to all aspects of THCI at its website, including how to submit.

==================
In this issue
==================

The first two papers of this issue are based on the keynote speeches by Izak Benbasat and Kalle Lyytinen at the pre-ICIS HCI workshop in 2009. The theme of the keynotes is Future Directions for HCI Research. We welcome other scholars to respond or share their own opinions on the theme. Accepted responses or opinions will be published in the 3rd issue in September, 2010. The deadline for submission is August 15, 2010. More details on the call can be found at http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/.

Paper 1. HCI Research: Future Challenges and Directions, by Izak Benbasat

This commentary reflects my personal views of the future research challenges and directions in human-computer interaction (HCI) research in the field of Management Information Systems (MIS). It may be that many in our community do not share my concerns about the issues I consider important and the challenges we face. My intent here is not to argue that others should pursue approaches similar to mine, or to predict what type of work would be most fruitful and important in the future. Rather, my intent is to share some of the principles and ideas I would like to follow in my future research. I hope that these comments will lead to a debate (in this AIS Transactions) about how our community should plan for the future in HCI research and how we can make it more relevant, interesting and exciting.

Available at: http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol2/iss2/1

Paper 2: HCI Research: Future Directions that Matter, by Kalle Lyytinen

In this essay, I briefly review the dominant perspective in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) research and its underlying research questions as currently pursued in the field of Information Systems (IS). I discuss its strengths and weaknesses and conclude that it is reaching the state of a decreasing rate of returns due to significant changes in computing environments and computer use. Three emerging themes are noted to address this challenge: 1) concern for environmental validity, 2) richer notions of cognition, and 3) growth and access to new sets of data. I suggest that these themes will shape the research in HCI in this decade, and, if addressed properly, will improve the relevance (and rigor) of future research.

Available at: http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol2/iss2/2

Paper 3. IS Use and Quality of Life: A Conceptualization and Empirical Investigation, by Angsana A. Techatassanasoontorn and Arunee Tanvisuth

The nature of IS use and its impacts in everyday life settings are not yet well understood. Drawing on quality of life theory and evidence from the IS acceptance and IS impacts research, this study conceptualizes the relationship between IS use and quality of life as a process that involves vertical and horizontal spillover effects. We empirically investigate this relationship in the context of basic IT use among socio-economically disadvantaged individuals. The research participants received their initial basic IT skill training from community technology centers. The context of our study is the Thai community technology centers supported by Microsoft Unlimited Potential grants. The results strongly support that there are vertical spillover and horizontal spillover mechanisms that relate IS use to domain-specific quality of life and overall quality of life. Implications for research and practice are discussed.

Available at: http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol2/iss2/3

Paper 4. Moods and Their Relevance to Systems Usage Models within Organizations: An Extended Framework, by Eleanor Loiacono and Soussan Djamasbi

Traditionally, information systems (IS) usage models have examined user behavior within a cognitive framework, that is, these models suggest that a user’s cognition influences his/her IS usage behavior. Research over the past three decades has shown that mood, one’s global feeling state at a given time, can significantly impact a person’s cognitive processes. Mood effects on cognition are particularly relevant to organizational settings. Because moods are pervasive, they provide a stable context for cognitive processes that influence behavior at work; therefore, the inclusion of mood in individual IS usage models that support organizational tasks is both relevant and necessary. Because positive mood can enhance performance under certain circumstances, mood management is also relevant to IS usage models. Thus, we highlight how moods can be managed via IS and propose a model that takes into account users’ moods at the time they work with a system. This model provides an extended framework for incorporating relevant mood literature into current IS usage behavioral models. With this model, researchers can examine certain aspects of the model (such as how IS design can influence user feeling states or how users’ moods can impact their behavior), or conduct more comprehensive research using the entire model. This model can contribute to theory by providing a more complete picture of user behavior, and contribute to practice by helping mangers plan for desired outcomes.

Available at: http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol2/iss2/4

==================
Call for Papers: Special Section on Future Directions for HCI Research in MIS
==================

http://melody.syr.edu/pzhang/thci/index.cgi.

Publication:
---------------------
The special section on the responses will be published in the September 2010 issues of THCI.

Submission Deadline:
---------------------
2010.8.15 (early submissions are welcome and will be processed as they come)

==================
Call for Papers: Special Issue on User Participation/Centeredness in New Challenging IS Contexts
==================

http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/Special_issue_participation.pdf

Important Dates:
 ---------------------
⎯ 2010/10/31: Deadline for Submissions
⎯ 2011/01/31: Review Results to Authors
⎯ 2011/04/30: Deadline for Revisions
⎯ 2011/08/31: Final Decisions
⎯ 2012: Publishing the Special Issue

Co-Editors of the Special Issue:
 ---------------------
Netta Iivari, Department of Information Processing Science, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland, Email: netta.iivari at oulu.fi
Horst Treiblmaier, Department of Management Information Systems, Vienna University of Economics and Business, Vienna, Austria, Email: Horst.Treiblmaier at wu.ac.at
Dennis Galletta, University of Pittsburgh, Katz Graduate School of Business, Pittsburg, USA, Email: galletta at katz.pitt.edu

==================
Call for Papers: Special Issue on HCI in the Web 2.0 era
==================

http://mjsciald.mysite.syr.edu/thci_web20_special_issue.pdf

Important Dates (early submissions are welcome):
---------------------
 2010.8.1 Intent by email (optional). Authors may seek feedback from editors.
 2011.2.1 Deadline for Submissions
 2011.5.1 Review results to authors
 2011.8.1 Deadline for Revisions
 2011.10.1 Final decisions to authors
 Late 2011 or early 2012 Publication of the special issue.

Co-Editors of the Special Issue:
---------------------
Ozgur Turetken, Ted Rogers School of Information Technology Management, Ryerson University, Toronto,
ON, Canada L5M 6G4 Phone: (416) 979-5000 x2481, Fax: (416) 979-5249, E-mail: turetken at ryerson.ca<mailto:turetken at ryerson.ca>
Lorne Olfman, School of Information Systems and Technology, Claremont Graduate University, Claremont,
CA, USA 91711 Phone: 909-621-8209, E-mail: Lorne.Olfman at cgu.edu

==================
Call for Regular Papers
==================

THCI is a high-quality peer-reviewed international scholarly journal on Human-Computer Interaction. As an AIS journal, THCI is oriented to the Information Systems community, emphasizing applications in business, managerial, organizational, and cultural contexts. However, it is open to all related communities that share intellectual interests in HCI phenomena and issues. The editorial objective is to enhance and communicate knowledge about the interplay among humans, information, technologies, and tasks in order to guide the development and use of human-centered Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and services for individuals, groups, organizations, and communities.

Topics of interest to THCI include but are not limited to the following:

·         The behavioral, cognitive, motivational and affective aspects of human and technology interaction

·         User task analysis and modeling; fit between representations and task types

·         Digital documents/genres; human information seeking and web navigation behaviors; human information interaction; information visualization

·         Social media; social computing; virtual communities

·         Behavioral information security and information assurance; privacy and trust in human technology interaction

·         User interface design and evaluation for various applications in business, managerial, organizational, educational, social, cultural, non-work, and other domains

·         Integrated and/or innovative approaches, guidelines, and standards or metrics for human centered analysis, design, construction, evaluation, and use of interactive devices and information systems

·         Information systems usability engineering; universal usability

·         The impact of interfaces/information technology on people's attitude, behavior, performance, perception, and productivity

·         Implications and consequences of technological change on individuals, groups, society, and socio-technical units

·         Software learning and training issues such as perceptual, cognitive, and motivational aspects of learning

·         Gender and information technology

·         The elderly, the young, and special needs populations for new applications, modalities, and multimedia interaction

·         Issues in HCI education
The language for the journal is English. The audience includes international scholars and practitioners who conduct research on issues related to the objectives of the journal. The publication frequency is quarterly: 4 issues per year to be published in March, June, September, and December. The AIS Special Interest Group on Human-Computer Interaction (SIGHCI, http://sigs.aisnet.org/SIGHCI/) is the official sponsor for THCI.

==================
AIS THCI Editorial Boards
==================

Editors-in-Chief
---------------------
Dennis Galletta, University of Pittsburgh, USA
Ping Zhang, Syracuse University, USA

Advisory Board
---------------------
Izak Benbasat, University of British Columbia, Canada
John M. Carroll, Penn State University, USA
Phillip Ein-Dor, Tel-Aviv University, Israel
Jenny Preece, University of Maryland, USA
Gavriel Salvendy, Purdue University, USA and Tsinghua University, China
Ben Shneiderman, University of Maryland, USA
Jane Webster, Queen's University, Canada,
K.K Wei, City University of Hong Kong, China

Senior Editor Board
-------------------------
Fred Davis, University of Arkansas, USA
Mohamed Khalifa, Abu Dhabi University, United Arab Emirates
Anne Massey, Indiana University, USA
Lorne Olfman, Claremont Graduate University, USA
Kar Yan Tam, Hong Kong University of Science & Technology, China
Dov Te'eni, Tel-Aviv University, Israel
Viswanath Venkatesh, University of Arkansas, USA
Susan Wiedenbeck, Drexel University, USA

Associate Editor Board
-----------------------------
Michel Avital, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Jane Carey, Arizona State University, USA
Hock Chuan Chan, National University of Singapore
Carina de Villiers, University of Pretoria, South Africa
Matt Germonprez, University of Wisconsin Eau Claire USA
Khaled Hassanein, McMaster University, Canada
Milena Head, McMaster University, Canada
Traci Hess, Washington State University, USA
Shuk Ying (Susanna) Ho, Australian National University, Australia
Netta Iivari, Oulu University, Finland
Zhenhui Jack Jiang, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Weiling Ke, Clarkson University, USA
Sherrie Komiak, Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada
Paul Benjamin Lowry, Brigham Young University, USA
Ji-Ye Mao, Renmin University, China
Scott McCoy, College of William and Mary, USA
Fiona Fui-Hoon Nah, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, USA
Sheizaf Rafaeli, University of Haifa, Israel
Stefan Smolnik, European Business School (EBS), Germany
Jeff Stanton, Syracuse University, USA
Heshan Sun, University of Arizona USA
Jason Thatcher, Clemson University, USA
Noam Tractinsky, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel
Horst Treiblmaier, Vienna University of Business Administration and Economics, Austria
Ozgur Turetken, Ryerson University, Canada
Mun Yi, University South Carolina, USA

Managing Editor
---------------------
Michael Scialdone, Syracuse University, USA

Dr. Ping Zhang, Professor and PhD Program Director
School of Information Studies (http://ischool.syr.edu<https://exchange.syr.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://ischool.syr.edu/>)
Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13244
315-443-5617, Fax: 315-443-6886
pzhang at syr.edu<mailto:pzhang at syr.edu>, http://melody.syr.edu/pzhang<https://exchange.syr.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://melody.syr.edu/pzhang>