[AISWorld] Call for Submissions - JAIS Special Forum on History of the IS Field

Andrew Schwarz aschwarz at lsu.edu
Thu Aug 5 16:01:57 EDT 2010

Call for Submissions
Special Forum: History of the Information Systems Field
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
(G. Santayana, The Life of Reason, Volume 1, 1905)
The Information Systems (IS) field is now over forty years old --- long
enough to have its own history. We believe this is a good time to
reflect upon the history of the discipline.  By better understanding
where we have been, we might be better able to position ourselves for
where we want to go.  By reflecting upon what we have already studied,
we can avoid 'reinventing the wheel'. We may be able to capitalize on
synergies derived from taking a broad historical perspective of what we
already have studied.

This special forum is designed to publish commentaries that are backward
looking because of their historical nature, but that are forward
thinking as a result of their reflections about significant new
directions and opportunities in the information systems discipline. The
value and challenges of conducting such historical analysis of the
discipline may also be addressed.  Possible topics for historical
reflection include, but are not limited to:

*	IS Research themes
*	Information technologies
*	Educational approaches/Curriculum issues in the IS discipline
*	Research methodologies
*	Publishing in the discipline
*	Globalization of the IS discipline

The purpose of this call is to invite proposals for submission of such
commentaries.  The proposals are not the full-length commentaries as
described above.  Instead, they are a brief description of the intended
phenomenon, why it is significant, and the authors' own competence in
producing an insightful research commentary.  Each commentary should
also clearly indicate how the historical reflection can be used to
benefit future actions and study. The proposals should not be longer
than two pages, double spaced.  The proposals will be evaluated by the
special forums editors, Rudy Hirschheim, Carol Saunders, and Detmar
Straub.  After this preliminary review, a limited number of proposals
will be invited for full-length submissions.

The deadline for proposals is September 15, 2010, though earlier
submissions are encouraged.   Proposals should be sent to the Senior
Editor of the IS Research Perspectives section of JAIS, Carol Saunders:
Csaunders at bus.ucf.edu.

After review, authors of the selected proposals will be notified by the
October 15, 2010 and will be asked to submit their full-length papers by
January 15, 2011.  After review, authors will be notified about the
acceptance of their work by March 15, 2011 and the final versions will
be due by May 1, 2011.

Rudy Hirschheim, Louisiana State University, rudy at lsu.edu
Carol Saunders, University of Central Florida, csaunders at bus.ucf.edu

Detmar Straub, Georgia State University, dstraub at gsu.edu

--------------------------------
Dr. Andrew Schwarz
Milton J. Womack Developing Scholar
Academic Coordinator for Online Graduate Programs (MBA)

Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/drandrewschwarz

Vice President of Technology, Association for Information Systems

Associate Editor, European Journal of Information Systems
Senior Editor, DATABASE

E. J. Ourso College of Business
Louisiana State University
225.578.9075 (Phone) 225.578.2511 (Fax)