[AISWorld] 2nd CFP: AMCIS 2011 Minitrack--Philosophy, Epistemology and Research Methods in Information Systems

Trevor T. Moores trevor_moores at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 3 07:43:30 EST 2011

2nd Call for Papers
(with updated submission dates)

17th Americas Conference on Information Systems
August 4-7, 2011, Detroit, MI, USA
Track: Global, International, and Cultural Issues in IS
Mini Track: Philosophy, Epistemology and Research Methods in Information Systems

In this minitrack, we solicit papers that either clarify  the philosophy of
information systems (IS), or apply one or more  philosophical concepts towards
understanding IS phenomena. By applying  the prefix "philosophy of," we are
attempting to develop, through  debate, a framework of understanding of what is
essential to our field,  its core concepts, theories, and methodologies. For
instance, critical  social realism and a broad range of philosophical
approaches, including  hermeneutics and phenomenology, have been shown to be
applicable to IS research (Mingers & Willcocks 2004). As such, we  seek and
encourage papers that propose competing theoretical and  philosophical lenses
that will help to enrich our current understanding  of the IS field.  We seek
insights and to encourage debate on a wide  variety of issues including:

- Where is the relevance of philosophy to IS research and practice?
-  What differentiates IS from other fields (ontology) and are the current
approaches towards knowing in IS - positivism, interpretivism and critical
realism - adequate for IS (epistemology)?
- How should researchers handle methodological pluralism in IS research?
- What does the “linguistic turn” in the human sciences, modern, postmodern and
poststructuralist approaches imply for IS research and practice?
-  In the age of the global village, socially-networked society,  organizations
without boundaries and WikiLeaks, what is shape of the  future IS field and the
potential status of IS as a reference discipline?

SUGGESTED TOPICS:
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to, the following:
- IS ontology and epistemology
- Philosophical foundations and methodological choices for IS research
- Novel IS research methods and techniques
- Applications of specific philosophical theories or methods (such as
phenomenology, hermeneutics, critical realism, and others)
- Sociomaterial philosophy and methodology
- Modern, linguistic, poststructuralist, and postmodern theories and approaches
- Philosophical issues in quantitative, qualitative and mixed methods
- Ethical and normative issues