[AISWorld] Frymoyer Endowed Chair Professor Position

Lee Giles giles at ist.psu.edu
Fri Feb 4 09:28:59 EST 2011

Announcement: Frymoyer Endowed Chair Professor Position
The Pennsylvania State University
University Park, PA

The Pennsylvania State University College of Information Sciences and
Technology (IST) is seeking
candidates for the position of Frymoyer Chair. The Frymoyer Chair is a
tenured, full professor in
the College of Information Sciences and Technology. The anticipated
start date is Fall 2011 or
Spring 2012.

The endowed chair was established in 1999 through a gift of $1.5 million
from the Edward J. Frymoyer
Foundation. The holder of the Frymoyer Chair is expected to have a
significant impact not only in
the College, but also across multiple disciplines at the University and
in the public and private
sectors. Funds from the endowment will support the chair holder's
contributions to instruction,
research, and public service with the overall intent to foster the use,
benefits, and effectiveness
of the information sciences around the globe.

The Pennsylvania State University is the land-grant University of the
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
It is comprised of the University Park campus, where the College is
located, and 23 other campuses
throughout the state.

The College was founded in 1998 to develop information science and
technology leaders for the
digital, global society, and enrolled its first class of students in the
1999-2000 academic year.
The College at University Park, which includes 50 full-time faculty,
currently serves approximately
1100 undergraduate students, 110 resident graduate students, primarily
in the Ph.D. program, and 100
non-resident graduate students in a professional master’s degree
program. In addition, the IST
undergraduate curriculum is offered at 19 other Penn State campuses. In
January 2004, the College
moved into a new 190,000 square foot building on the University Park
campus. The building houses
both the College of IST and the Department of Computer Science and
Engineering. To learn more about
our structure, vision, mission, goals, faculty and students, please see
http://ist.psu.edu.

We seek a candidate who will provide research leadership as our College
moves forward in its second
decade of existence. We have faculty strengths in: (1) computational
informatics and artificial
intelligence; (2) human computer interaction and cognitive studies; (3)
information systems
development/enterprise architecture; (4) security and informatics; and
(5) social policy, economics
and informatics. As an interdisciplinary faculty we collaborate on
problems of national significance.
We are particularly interested in candidates with demonstrated research
leadership in cutting edge
problem areas such as infrastructure and internet security and privacy,
innovation in web search,
health informatics, network science, social media, and educational
technology. The successful
candidate will have a well defined and sustained record of funded
research and accomplishments.
However, we will not limit our search to specific research areas or
problems.

Applications from those who seek to be a part of a vibrant, civil and
diverse academic community and
who do research and teaching in any of the information and technology
sciences are welcome.
Qualified candidates are invited to send a cover letter with their
research vision, their curriculum
vita, as well as names and email addresses of four persons who will
write letters of recommendation
to chairsearch at ist.psu.edu . Review of applications will begin February
18, 2011 and continue until
the position is filled. Penn State is committed to affirmative action,
equal opportunity and the
diversity of its workforce.

This announcement is available at

http://ist.psu.edu/chairsearch.