[AISWorld] AMICS 2nd Call for Panel Proposals

Richard Welke rwelke at ceprin.org
Mon Mar 21 17:34:43 EDT 2011

You still have an opportunity to submit a panel proposal for AMCIS 2011 in Detroit, MI (Motown, my hometown). As in prior years, AMCIS 2011 provides the opportunity for a group of researchers to explore a topic or focus of interest in a panel format, typically involving a panel moderator (who poses several questions related to the topic) and three to four expert contributors with alternative views or perspectives on the topic. Depending upon the topic, the experts can be drawn from the academy and/or from industry.

To submit a panel proposal for AMCIS 2011, please send me an email (rather than using the manuscript central approach to submission). For those that have already sent your proposals via manuscript central, I have them, so no need to resubmit).

In your proposal submission to me, please indicate:

 1.  The panel “Title,” that provides a short title  to succinctly define (and market) your panel.
 2.  An "Abstract" that provide a statement of the panel topic and who you believe to be the target audience. Again, this abstract will appear in the conference program, so the abstract should be written in a manner that motivates conference participants to attend and engage.
 3.  Your proposed co-panelists (the panel proposer/moderator will be considered the “lead” author).
Also, please provide as an attached document, a …

1.     Statement of the panel objectives (e.g., to disseminate new points of view, to foster a debate on the topic, to introduce a new area of exploration). This section should include one or two representative questions that each of the panelists would answer.

2.     Statement of the panel layout (how the moderator and panelists will address the topic (e.g., questions from the moderator, position statements followed by interactions among the panelists), and the proposed time allocation given to the panel discussants and Q&A from the floor.

3.     List of proposed panelists including a short bio of each that emphasizes why the panelist is well qualified to serve as a moderator or panelist. These panelists will need to be confirmed prior to the final selection of the panels in March.

4.     Statement of any equipment needs (projector, computer, Internet access) and whether these needs are required or not.

The total proposal “manuscript” need not be more than three pages.

Submissions are encouraged as soon as possible, and will be accepted until 2/April/2011. It may happen that similar panels are proposed and may need to be combined.

Please (please, please) provide complete contact information for yourself (the panel proposer) should I need to contact you … email address, cell phone number, etc.

Why submit a panel proposal? Some reasons:

 1.  As the panel chair, many individuals will assume you're an expert in the area proposed and may invite you to participate in other venues
 2.  You get to find out who might be interested in this topic by the attendees at your panel session, giving you the chance to recruit them for follow-on papers, research proposals, etc. (or vice versa)
 3.  In a sea of 1200+ attendees, you will at least know where your fellow panelists are at a time-definiten for purposes of arranging lunch, dinner, or a wine-tasting.
 4.  You would like to genuinely advance the area of the topic in the broad arena of information systems and garner some attention to it,
 5.  You would like to provide a dialectic to the assumed research conventions of a particular area,
 6.  You would like to include in the discourse of a research focus, those whose voices may not have been well heard (e.g., practitioners or academics from a related field of inquiry)
 7.  You like panels, as an alternative forum choice to paper presentations, and feel its time to contribute rather than simply consume.

Regardless of your motivations, we'd love to hear from you before the 2nd of April!

Richard Welke
Panel Track Chair (AMCIS 2011)
Georgia State University
rwelke at ceprin.org<mailto:rwelke at ceprin.org>