[AISWorld] BusinessWeek Specialty Rankings

John Gallaugher john.gallaugher at bc.edu
Thu May 12 17:20:29 EDT 2011

Once again BusinessWeek has failed to rank Information Systems programs in their undergraduate business school specialty rankings.
http://www.businessweek.com/interactive_reports/top_undergad_bschools_by_specialty.html

These metrics are imperfect.  Most of us despise them even as we celebrate them the years stars align for our programs.  But the fact that IS has once again been ignored while "Calculus" (among others) is a ranked as a b-school specialty program.

The editor for the issue is Geoff Gloeckler - ggloeckler at bloomberg.net, Twitter @ggloeckler.  He seems like a nice man.  I've e-mailed him and he is responsive to feedback.  Last year I was told IS would hit the rankings but this was 'vetoed' (by others?) while entrepreneurship and international business made it in as new categories.  It'd be a wonderful opportunity for AIS leadership to launch a coordinated lobbying effort to raise awareness of our discipline w/BusinessWeek & ensure we're on the list next year.

Again, I know these beauty contests are imperfect, but if we're not even at the table then it's easy for faculty and administrators to diminish our importance.
Best regards,
John Gallaugher
--
John Gallaugher, Ph.D.
Carroll School of Management - Boston College