[AISWorld] JITTA Vol 11 Issue 4: Second Generation Statistical Techniques

Tuure Tuunanen tuure at tuunanen.fi
Tue Jun 7 14:07:06 EDT 2011

JITTA Vol 11 Issue 4: Second Generation Statistical Techniques

View the latest issue at http://www.jitta.org

Editorial News

This issue completes our 11th volume and our second year as a journal of the Association for Information Systems (AIS). In the last two years, our editorial board has also been working hard to get submissions processed on time. We are proud to report that the average turnaround time for the manuscripts has been 83.5 days. For this achievement our thanks go to the senior editors of the journal and our dedicated reviewers. There have also been interesting events regarding the AIS and the administration of the journal. The publication committee of the AIS with leadership of Prof. Kalle Lyytinen as the vice president of publications has appointed a new governing board for the journal. The governing board supervises the journal and its operations. The members are Professors Ken Peffers, Rajiv Kishore, Lars Mathiassen, Dough Vogel, and the AIS vice president of publications, currently Prof. Kalle Lyytinen.

The current Issue

In this issue, we publish two articles that study different aspects of second generation statistical techniques. The first article presents a review and analysis of second generation statistical techniques (Gerow et al. 2010). The authors refer to partial least square (PLS), maximum likelihood (ML), and other structural equation modeling (SEM) techniques as second generation techniques. The authors reviewed Management Information Systems Quarterly (MISQ), Information Systems Research (ISR), Journal of Management Information Systems (JMIS), and Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS) articles published between 1990 and 2008. This effort resulted into a list of 265 articles that used regression or structural equation modeling (including partial least squares) as part of the research methodology. According to the article the adoption of these techniques has been primarily driven by rational choice. Furthermore, Gerow et al. (2010) consider that information systems researchers have correctly assessed the fit between the nature of the model and the analytic technique when they make the selection between first and second generation techniques. Finally, they state that second generation techniques have become indoctrinated into the knowledge repository for our discipline’s researchers.

The second article is a behavioral study in the area of online advertising and argues that social presence and telepresence are significant predictors of attitudes toward online advertisements (Campbell, Wright, and Clay 2010). Fittingly for the issue, the article uses a second generation statistical technique, namely PLS, for the analysis. The research setting is a cross sectional experimental design (n=244). This article offers a comprehensive review of how interactivity is conceptualized and evidence of how interactivity can be operationalized as speed, range and mapping in the online advertising domain.