[AISWorld] Plagiarism and "Self-Plagiarism"

Lars Taxén lars.taxen at telia.com
Wed Dec 14 05:32:38 EST 2011

Hi,

Just a small addition to Pekkola's post.

A similar situation is when you have elaborated a theory that can be
applied to various problems in different contexts. A certain
contribution would then consist of a common "module" describing the
theory, and a specific contribution for each context in which the
theory is applied. Each paper is a significant contribution, although
it contains a part that is the same in several contributions.

It would be nice if you could  "reuse" the theory-module by just
copying the text and write only the specific part. However, this is
not possible today unless you have the consent of the publisher of a
previous contribution. To me, it does not make much sense to make
cosmetic changes in the theory-module just to escape the copy-right
rules.  A "modular" kind of publishing system would be much
appreciated, I believe.

Lars

--
Lars Taxén, Associate Professor