[AISWorld] Plagiarism and "Self-Plagiarism"

Hossein S. Zadeh hossein.au at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 05:49:08 EST 2011

Hi there,
All of these are nice, and I am sure each one of us has a few examples to contribute. But from an administration point of view, how do we actually detect/enforce/defend the "substantially different" part?

It seems we are discussing three related, but distinct, issues:

*) consensus on what is or is not ethical behaviour when it comes to publishing one's academic work
*) articulating details of the above, and setting up a set of guidelines/policies around those
*) enforcement of the said guidelines/policies

This all need to be clearly articulated in any forthcoming policy. In parallel, we will have to think of:

*) setting up clear appeal process, as well as the inevitable arbitration channels

Regards,
Hossein

--
Dr Hossein S. Zadeh