[AISWorld] Plagiarism and "Self-Plagiarism"

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Wed Dec 14 07:08:57 EST 2011

At 11:32 +0100 14/12/11, Lars Taxén wrote:
>A similar situation is when you have elaborated a theory that can be
>applied to various problems in different contexts.  ...

In agreeing, I'll add two more examples of totally justifiable re-use:
(a) the description of a research technique, and
(b) the description of the particular research method used in a project
     that has given rise to more than one paper.

I argued the case in CAIS in 2009, at:
http://www.rogerclarke.com/SOS/SCSP-09.html#RTFToC10

*But* one key factor has to be added.

By whatever name we agree on, this 'bad thing' currently called
self-plagiarism occurs because of "the re-presentation of the
documented words or ideas of oneself, **without appropriate
attribution**" (emphasis added).

Nomatter how sensible it is to re-use a segment of text, the fact
that it is a re-use must be declared to the editor, the reviewers and
the readers.

There are ways to do this that are entirely acceptable to editors.

But failure to do it can very quickly give rise to distrust, and
(worse) misleading comments from reviewers and editors that seem and
are a bit beside the point, and (worst) rejection on a pretext.

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916