[AISWorld] Plagiarism and "Self-Plagiarism"

Andrew Urbaczewski aurbacze at umd.umich.edu
Wed Dec 14 10:15:36 EST 2011

Dear colleagues,

If anything, I think all the debate around this issue by scholars around the world shows that, at least at this time, having a group of journal editors or a small group within AIS act as judge, jury, and executioner on the issue of self-plagiarism is a bit premature.

I think? we can all agree that submitting someone else's previously published paper to a journal is wrong.
I think? we can all agree that submitting an exact copy of a paper published by one journal in the past to another journal is wrong.
I think? we can all agree that taking a student's or colleague's unpublished paper and submitting it as your own without appropriation is wrong.

If we want to go down the road of setting standards and penalties for plagiarism (which I'm not sure we do, but for sake of argument let's say we do), maybe we should start with these baby steps?

Andrew

Andrew Urbaczewski, Ph.D.
Chair, Department of Management Studies
Associate Professor of MIS
College of Business
University of Michigan - Dearborn
19000 Hubbard Drive, FCS 127
Dearborn, MI 48126
+1 313 583.6302

SKYPE me at aurbaczewski

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." — Thomas Jefferson