[AISWorld] Managers as designers in the public services

david wastell dave_wastell at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 9 13:28:45 EST 2012

I'm setting up a web-site aimed at bringing together academics and public sector managers with a common interest in using IT to re-design public services. The core idea is that managers need to see their primary task as systems design. The web-site is somewhat embryonic, but you are invited to have a look at my work-in-progress. See:

http://www.managingbydesign.net/

I think that this agenda affords great opportunities for the IS research community, which I have attempted to argue in a recent(ish) opinion piece in EJIS, see:

http://www.managingbydesign.net/index.php/information-systems

A sample copy of the opening chapter of my recent book "Managing as designing in the public services: beyond technomagic" may be found on the web-site. I am particularly interested in garnering case studies and articles, especially of a critical nature.

Any feedback would be gratefully appreciated... it would be great to hear from anyone interested in collaborating in this development.

David Wastell (Professor of Information Systems, Nottingham University Business School)