[AISWorld] Developing an Integrated Approach to Performance Improvement: The Whole System of Work

david wastell dave_wastell at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 11 05:57:06 EDT 2012

Dear ColleagueJust to alert you, I've published another case study on the "Managers as Designers" web-site. It's by Sean Sheridan, former Director of Corporate Services, County Donegal. The paper is entitled:Developing an Integrated Approach to Performance Improvement: The Whole System of WorkSean performed this research as part of his studies on the MSc in Innovation Management in the Public Service (Letterkenny Institute of Technology/University of Ulster). I came across his work in my role as external examiner. I think it provides a great example of "managing as designing" in action, and I've received Sean's permission to publish it. The programme produced more excellent dissertations which I hope to publish in due course. Here is an abstract of the work:  The achievement of integrated, sustainable change represents a major challenge, particularly in the public sector context. This paper describes the development by a local authority of a comprehensive, systematic methodology, which encompasses organisational structure, work processes and information systems. The methodology, which is defined as the Whole System of Work, has evolved over a lengthy period of sustained effort, research and testing. Definitions of the principal elements of the methodology are provided and progress to date on the pilot implementation is described. The paper concludes that the methodology has the potential to support a systematic approach to the management of transformational change, provided that certain organisational conditions are created. An essential condition is the existence of a well-defined structure of management, which explicitly distinguishes the differences in the nature and complexity of work to be performed at each level. Required conditions also include visible leadership at top management level, clarity on objectives, and active participation by key stakeholders in the process.To obtain a copy, please see recommended reading 2) on the site: www.managingbydesign.netIt's also in the Case Studies section (case 8)Best wishesDave WastellProfessor of Information SystemsNottingham University Business School