[AISWorld] Volume 4, Issue 1 of AIS Transactions on HCI

Galletta, Dennis galletta at katz.pitt.edu
Fri Jun 29 21:36:36 EDT 2012

Announcing the Publication of
Volume 4 Issue 2 of AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction
Special issue on User Participation and Centeredness in new, Challenging IS Contexts
(http://thci.aisnet.org)

We hereby announce another issue of AIS Transactions on HCI. First, though, we would like to note that this issue of THCI is dedicated to Professor Paul Gray, who passed away at age 81 on May 10, 2012 from injuries suffered in a car accident. Paul was a dear personal friend and mentor to co-Editor in Chief Ping since the late 90s. He was instrumental to THCI's inception by providing invaluable suggestions and recommendations on THCI's policies and operation procedures based on his extensive editing and writing experience. He had been an advisor to THCI since 2008, the year THCI was established.  Some of his ideas will be part of this journal forever. We are very saddened to lose his friendship, cheerfulness, and always generous and helpful advice.  A tribute page for Paul can be found at http://lorneolfman.com/paulgraytribute/.

---

OUTGOING EDITORIAL BOARD MEMBERS

We would like to thank Weiyin Hong for her service on our board. She has recently "retired" from the board and is changing locations. We will miss her service.

---

This time of year, we also provide awards for best paper and best reviewer of the year. Our Senior Editors provided nominations for both best paper and best reviewer. After intense review and discussion, we have identified the following:

BEST REVIEWER AWARD

Best reviewer: Matt Germonprez, for his habitually timely and thorough reviews. Thank you, Matt for your help. Matt's service was exemplary and distinguished him in the sea of excellent reviewers we were blessed to have.

BEST PAPER AWARD

Best paper: From Vol. 3, Issue 1, "Designing Emergency Response Dispatch Systems for Better Dispatch Performance" by Anna L. McNab, Niagara University; Traci J. Hess, University of Massachusetts Amherst, and Joseph S. Valacich, now of University of Arizona.

While other papers were nominated, some of the SE comments identify why this was the winner:

-          "In this paper I liked the solid scientific work that the authors did in breaking down a practical and significant organizational problem, studying it rigorously, and suggesting design recommendations with clear practical implementation."

-          "Theory-based design improvements; important problem area-emergency response;  two well-designed experiments; significant findings with actionable implications."

-          "Excellent paper that actually can help save lives, which I've always wished I could do in my job. It provides an outstanding purpose that has the impressive bonus of being theory-based and also full of experimental rigor. It's an easy choice to nominate this paper."

-          "The McNab et al paper uses HCI principles as an excellent theoretical base, and HCI is a really crisp focus."

---

THCI is located within the AIS (Association for Information Systems) e-library (http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci). To increase awareness and readership, THCI is freely available to everyone during its initial years of publishing. You can find information related to all aspects of THCI at its website,<http://aisel.aisnet.org/> including how to submit. We would like to thank AIS<http://home.aisnet.org/> Council for its continued support of the journal as we begin to emerge from difficult economic times. We are also pleased to announce that we have initiated a process that hopefully will result in our journal being indexed in the near future. Indexing a journal provides many benefits and recognizes the ability of the journal to attract good work from authors for a sustained period of time, and to publish on time.

==================
In this issue
==================

This issue is our 14th consecutive issue, published on time like every one of the others to date. It is our third special issue of THCI, which addresses User Participation and Centeredness in new, Challenging IS Contexts. We would be happy to entertain any ideas for further special issues; just email one of the Editors with your idea.

The special issue editors were Netta Iivari, Horst Treiblmaier, and Dennis F. Galletta.  This issue has six research articles.  Titles, authors and abstracts are listed below.

Editorial: Introduction to the AIS THCI Special Issue on User Participation/Centeredness in New, Challenging IS Contexts
Netta Iivari, Horst Treiblmaier, and Dennis F. Galletta

Paper #1: Representation in Systems Development and Implementation: A Healthcare Enterprise System Implementation
Alain Ross, Barbara Marcolin, and Mike W. Chiasson

In the context of electronic health records, the authors address the meaning of representation for design. Developers must define the constituency, select representatives, and determine how the representation relationship is carried out. The authors analyze the different types of representation ("spokesperson," "example," and "symbol") that occur in development projects. These types of representation significantly differ with respect to the why, who, and how of representation.

Paper #2: Users as Designers of Information Infrastructures and the Role of Generativity
Liv Karen Johannessen, Deede Gammon, and Gunnar Ellingsen

This case study paper also takes place in the health care context, and illustrates how user and designer roles evolve together. Not just technology, but also work practices evolve, so user contributions are decisive in the project. Designing both together provides insights that feed directly into the design process.

Paper #3: Personas in Uniform: Police Officers as Users of Information Technology
Erik Borglund and Urban Nulden

Borglund and Nulden use personas and scenarios in a contemporary policing context to illustrate the properties and conditions of police work. The authors demonstrate that personas and scenarios make the daily work visible and support the emergent design of information systems in the midst of the user/developer dialog.

Paper #4: P2P Mapper: From User Experiences to Pattern-Based Design
Homa Javahery and Ahmed Seffah

A software tool called Persona to Pattern (P2P) Mapper is proposed, which guides designers in modeling user experiences and identifying appropriate design patterns. P2P Mapper supports the first two of the three steps in the process of persona creation, pattern selection, and pattern composition. In one more example in the domain of health care, the Mapper is used in the redesign of two Bioinformatics applications, and the tool demonstrates the usability improvement that is earned by the Mapper.

Paper #5: User Participation in Software Design via Social Media: Experiences from a Case Study with Consumers
Pirjo Näkki and Kaisa Koskela-Huotari

In a study of user participation, social media is shown to provide an interesting new venue for enabling and energizing the user participation process. Social media can provide the participation process with almost continuous user involvement, and provide user contributions over a long period of time. The authors call for software development practices to be modified so that small and dispersed user contributions fit well into the process.

Paper #6: Fostering Continuous User Participation by Embedding a Communication Support Tool in User Interfaces
Fahri Yetim, Sebastian Draxler, Gunnar Stevens, and Volker Wulf
Yetim, Draxler, Stevens, and Wulf provide a review of previous IS literature on user participation and conclude that the literature lacks design research on developing system prototypes to foster continuous participation. They provide a tool that enables users to participate while using the application systems while they work. Conclusions are that the tool is shown to be usable and useful in practice.

==================
Call for Papers
==================

THCI is a high-quality peer-reviewed international scholarly journal on Human-Computer Interaction. As an AIS journal, THCI is oriented to the Information Systems community, emphasizing applications in business, managerial, organizational, and cultural contexts. However, it is open to all related communities that share intellectual interests in HCI phenomena and issues. The editorial objective is to enhance and communicate knowledge about the interplay among humans, information, technologies, and tasks in order to guide the development and use of human-centered Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and services for individuals, groups, organizations, and communities.

Topics of interest to THCI include but are not limited to the following:

 *   The behavioral, cognitive, motivational and affective aspects of human and technology interaction
 *   User task analysis and modeling; fit between representations and task types
 *   Digital documents/genres; human information seeking and web navigation behaviors; human information interaction; information visualization
 *   Social media; social computing; virtual communities
 *   Behavioral information security and information assurance; privacy and trust in human technology interaction
 *   User interface design and evaluation for various applications in business, managerial, organizational, educational, social, cultural, non-work, and other domains
 *   Integrated and/or innovative approaches, guidelines, and standards or metrics for human centered analysis, design, construction, evaluation, and use of interactive devices and information systems
 *   Information systems usability engineering; universal usability
 *   The impact of interfaces/information technology on people's attitude, behavior, performance, perception, and productivity
 *   Implications and consequences of technological change on individuals, groups, society, and socio-technical units
 *   Software learning and training issues such as perceptual, cognitive, and motivational aspects of learning
 *   Gender and information technology
 *   The elderly, the young, and special needs populations for new applications, modalities, and multimedia interaction
 *   Issues in HCI education

The language for the journal is English. The audience includes international scholars and practitioners who conduct research on issues related to the objectives of the journal. The publication frequency is quarterly: 4 issues per year to be published in March, June, September, and December. The AIS Special Interest Group on Human-Computer Interaction (SIGHCI, http://sigs.aisnet.org/SIGHCI/) is the official sponsor for THCI.

Please visit the links above or the links from our AIS THCI page<http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/> for details on any emerging special issue calls that will be announced in the future. Please keep checking our home page to see what is brewing! If you have an idea for a special issue, please drop us a line any time.

==================
AIS THCI Editorial Board
==================

Editors-in-Chief
---------------------
Dennis Galletta, University of Pittsburgh, USA
Ping Zhang, Syracuse University, USA

Advisory Board
---------------------
Izak Benbasat, University of British Columbia, Canada
John M. Carroll, Penn State University, USA
Phillip Ein-Dor, Tel-Aviv University, Israel
Jenny Preece, University of Maryland, USA
Gavriel Salvendy, Purdue University, USA and Tsinghua University, China
Ben Shneiderman, University of Maryland, USA
Jane Webster, Queen's University, Canada,
K.K Wei, City University of Hong Kong, China

Senior Editor Board
-------------------------
Fred Davis, University of Arkansas, USA
Traci Hess, University of Massachusetts-Amherst
Shuk Ying (Susanna) Ho, Australian National University
Mohamed Khalifa, University of Wollongong, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Jinwoo Kim, Yonsei University, Korea
Anne Massey, Indiana University, USA
Fiona Fui-Hoon Nah, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, USA
Lorne Olfman, Claremont Graduate University, USA
Kar Yan Tam, Hong Kong University of Science & Technology, China
Dov Te'eni, Tel-Aviv University, Israel
Noam Tractinsky, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel
Viswanath Venkatesh, University of Arkansas, USA
Mun Yi, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Korea

Associate Editor Board
-----------------------------
Miguel Aguirre-Urreta, DePaul University, USA
Michel Avital, Copenhagen Business School, Denmark
Hock Chuan Chan, National University of Singapore
Christy M.K. Cheung, Hong Kong Baptist University, China
Michael Davern, University of Melbourne, Australia
Carina de Villiers, University of Pretoria, South Africa
Alexandra Durcikova, University of Arizona, USA
Xiaowen Fang, DePaul University, USA
Matt Germonprez, University of Wisconsin Eau Claire USA
Jennifer Gerow, Virginia Military Institute, USA
Suparna Goswami, Technische U.München, Germany
Khaled Hassanein, McMaster University, Canada
Milena Head, McMaster University, Canada
Netta Iivari, Oulu University, Finland
Zhenhui Jack Jiang, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Richard Johnson, University at Albany, State University of New York, USA
Weiling Ke, Clarkson University, USA
Sherrie Komiak, Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada
Na Li, Baker College, USA
Paul Benjamin Lowry, City University of Hong Kong, China
Ji-Ye Mao, Renmin University, China
Scott McCoy, College of William and Mary, USA
Greg Moody, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, USA
Robert F. Otondo, Mississippi State University, USA
Lingyun Qiu, Peking University , China
Sheizaf Rafaeli, University of Haifa, Israel
René Riedl, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria
Khawaja Saeed, Wichita State University, USA
Shu Schiller, Wright State University, USA
Hong Sheng, Missouri University of Science and Technology, USA
Stefan Smolnik, European Business School (EBS), Germany
Jeff Stanton, Syracuse University, USA
Heshan Sun, University of Arizona USA
Jason Thatcher, Clemson University, USA
Horst Treiblmaier, Vienna University of Business Administration and Economics, Austria
Ozgur Turetken, Ryerson University, Canada
Fahri Yetim, University of Siegen, Germany
Cheng Zhang, Fudan University , China
Meiyun Zuo, Renmin University, China

Managing Editor
Jian Tang, Syracuse University, USA

Dennis F. Galletta                      Professor of Business Administration
University of Pittsburgh                 and Director, Katz Doctoral Program
282a Mervis Hall                            Katz Graduate School of Business
Phone +1 412-648-1699                                  Pittsburgh, PA  15260
E-mail: galletta @                                       Fax +1 412-648-1693
        katz.pitt.edu                       homepage: www.pitt.edu/~galletta<http://www.pitt.edu/~galletta>