[AISWorld] your ideas for a 'data scientist' course

Joseph Clark joeclark77 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 23 14:39:28 EDT 2012

Dear Colleagues,I'm currently trying to develop a course to equip our MIS undergraduate students for careers as "data scientists" (this is the fashionable new title that business intelligence analysts have lately been adopting) and I'd like to ask for your input.  I envision a course that will teach the students to be problem-solvers with data, to employ data visualization and statistics purposefully and to identify business value.  The course will  give the students some technical skills (e.g. R programming) without being strictly a technology course, and I'd like them to leave with a completed analytical project they can show off and add to their professional portfolio.  It might include special topics like GIS or big data analytics. This would complement a standard course on business intelligence which covers the infrastructure supporting analysis (ETL, data warehousing, dashboards, etc) and some more technical courses (statistics, data mining, computer science), and should not replace or overlap too much with these others.

Do any of you have experience teaching this type of class, especially at the undergraduate level?  I would appreciate recommendations for syllabi, textbooks, assignments, or course-long projects.
// joseph w. clark , phd , visiting research associate
\\ university of nebraska at omaha - college of IS&T