[AISWorld] Responses to: Software for case based teaching and learning in Information Systems

Ilia Bider ilia at ibissoft.se
Fri Apr 5 04:55:03 EDT 2013

Dear colleagues,

For some time ago I posted the following question to the list
====================

Dear colleagues,

Could anybody give us an advice on software (preferably open source) suitable for case based teaching and learning in IS.

More specifically, we use case-based approach in several courses that concern modeling of organizations, be it goal modeling, conceptual modeling, process modeling, etc. A case is always artificial and consists of textual description of an organization. Based on this description, students build a model in groups. When there are ambiguities, they decide themselves, or ask the tutor.

We want to change this practice so that instead of the textual description, there is a system that can answer questions about business activities in the simulated organization. The situation becomes nearer to what the students will be working with after their graduation. Nobody will provide them with textual descriptions, they will need to create them and the models themselves by asking people working in the organization.

The system should allow some kind of scenarios illustrated with multimedia - video clips, etc.

Any help on finding appropriate software or papers, or experience of similar projects would be greatly appreciated.
As customary, the compilation of replies will be posted back to the list.

===================
I got only few responses presented below.
------------------------------
 From John Venable:

Quite a few years ago, Richard Baskerville (Georgia State University) wrote a hypermedia case study that was available with the Kendall and Kendall textbook on systems analysis and design.

Theo Bastiens at Fernuniversität in Hagen, Germany and the Open University of the Netherlands does a lot of work on education including developing/using such an online, interactive case study.

Here at Curtin, in collaboration with Graz University of Technology in Austria, we are working on using and developing an immersive 3D environment for learning requirements elicitation within 3D virtual worlds/3D virtual learning environments, which has exactly the goals you describe. This project is so new that we have no publications as yet and no software available. We're working in Open Wonderland and plan to make outputs available as open source.

The above work by Baskerville and by Bastiens and colleagues does some similar things, but not in a 3DVW/3DVLE. I'm pretty sure the Baskerville/Kendall & Kendall case study isn't available as open source and I don't know about the availability of what Bastiens and colleagues have developed (despite him having just visited at Curtin!).

---------------------------------
 From Richard Baskerville:

Hypercase is available interactively online:
http://www.prenhall.com/hypercase/

It is tightly linked to the textbook.
----------------------------------
Again from John Venable:

A poster sheet that refers to http://vacademia.com/ which seems quite
relevant to the subjects.

Many thanks for all responded.
I have an additional question regarding the topic, but it warrants a
separate message

-- Regards/Ilia
Dr. Ilia Bider
Process- och systemutvecklingskonsult at ibissoft.se