[AISWorld] Georgia Tech offers a $6, 600 Master's Degree in Computer Science

Ilia Bider ilia at ibissoft.se
Mon May 27 17:25:05 EDT 2013

Leon,

What is the problem with this trend? I cannot see any, as long as
educators are serious when designing and conducting on-line courses.
Education is not disappearing :-) , it just takes different forms :-(.

--Ilia
On 2013-05-27 19:28, Kappelman, Leon wrote:

> *Dennis K. Berman
> <http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=213114599&authType=name&authToken=Xtq2&goback=%2Empd2_*1_*1_*1_*1_%2F20130524203941*5213114599*5the*56*5600*5master*5s*5degree&trk=mp-ph-pn>*
>
> *Business Editor of the Wall Street Journal*
>
> *The $6,600 Master's Degree*
>
> May 24, 2013
>
> There comes a time in every concept's life when the
> thing...actually...happens.
>
> If you're reading this post, you probably already have some
> familiarity with all the jostling going on in the education business.
> You know, for instance, that a number of companies are experimenting
> with MOOCs <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive_open_online_course>
> (Massive Open Online Courses), tablet-based learning
> <http://mashable.com/2013/03/06/classroom-tablets/>, and all kinds of
> in-school networking and Big Data analytics.
>
> And then came last week's announcemen
> <http://blog.udacity.com/2013/05/sebastian-thrun-announcing-online.html>t.
>
> Georgia Tech, one of the nation's best engineering schools, said it
> would begin offering fully-accredited, real-world master's degrees in
> computer science via the Internet. The cost: About $6,600. Or roughly
> the cost of a few years of /interest/ that many graduate students pay
> on a big loan to fund their education.
>
> Here is the key line from the *The Wall Street Journal
> <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324031404578483670125295836.html>'*s
> take on the program:
>
> The upfront costs to create the online lectures run between $200,000
> and $300,000, but once those hard outlays have been made the cost per
> each additional student is minimal, said Mr. Isbell. He estimated the
> school would have to hire one full-time teacher for every 100 online
> students as opposed to one full-time teacher for every 10 or 20
> students who study on campus.
>
> The description made me recall my freshman political science class in
> the mid-1990s, held in a dusty auditorium in West Philadelphia, a
> bow-tied professor reading his erudite, but canned, lecture to a few
> hundred freshmen.
>
> *Looking back on it now, this experience had far more in common with
> the Middle Ages than the world of 2013.*What's the difference between
> watching a lecture in an auditorium and watching HD-quality video in
> one's living room or beach cabana?
>
> From there it's not that hard to question the cost of a standard
> master's degree, which all-in can cost $50,000 to $60,000 per year.
> Even if the experience is not the same, the /value for money/ from the
> $6,600 degree appears at first blush, superior.
>
> For people in business, there's plenty to take away here. It's easy to
> use the old trope - disruption - but put that aside for a moment.
>
> The thought exercise I've been going through is this: What's the
> proverbial *$6,600 Master's Degree* in your industry? And what would
> [...]

Dr. Ilia Bider
Process- och systemutvecklingskonsult at ibissoft.se
Lektor & Forskare at DSV.su.se
ilia at ibissoft.se        +46 (0)8 164998