[AISWorld] Final Reminder HICSS47 IS to KS Research

MurphJen at aol.com MurphJen at aol.com
Fri Jun 14 01:08:18 EDT 2013

Remember that discussion on the listserv post ICIS about a  possible shift
in the IS Discipline?
This mini-track is in response in  part to that discussion, and countless
others on the relevance of IS research  and curriculum.

What better place to discuss it than Hawaii in  January!

Consider, submit, and come join us!  Mahalo!

CALL  FOR PAPERS
Forty-Seventh Annual Hawaii International Conference on  System
Sciences (HICSS-47) (http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu)
January 6 - 9,  2014 (Monday-Thursday)
Hilton Waikoloa, Big Island  (http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com)

Track: KNOWLEDGE  SYSTEMS
Minitrack: Information Systems to Knowledge Systems: Issues  in
Knowledge and Systems  Research
http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/hicss_47/track/ks/KS-Information.pdf

It  has been proposed by many in our field that the discipline of
Information  Systems requires a shift in teaching and research.
Historically, the field  has been focused on the transformation of data
into information and in this  track, we take the view that this has,
for the most part, already  occurred.

Further, we posit that the field is moving towards the  transformation
of information to knowledge and knowledge to wisdom, a  necessary step
for the survival of the field. For this track, we invite  research
proposals, education curricula, and papers that illustrate  and/or
demonstrate this shift, or even cases that argue against this  stance.

The field of Systems Science, as with most computing fields,  is
experiencing the effect of changing paradigms. In this time of  big
data, how can we get big knowledge or big breakthroughs to  resolve
problems our planet and societies face, now and in the  future?
Solutions to environmental, health, and energy problems  require
extensive knowledge bases that traditional MIS curricula and  research
appear to fail to address. In this track, we intend to  stimulate
dialogue amongst IS faculty and professionals to shift our  discipline
towards greater relevance. The issue of relevance has been  discussed
for many years, but now is the time to make pragmatic  changes.

HICSS conferences are devoted to the most relevant advances in  the
information, computer, and system sciences, and encompass  developments
in both theory and practice. Accepted papers may be  theoretical,
conceptual, tutorial or descriptive in nature. Those selected  for
presentation will be included in the Conference Proceedings  published
by the IEEE Computer Society and maintained in the IEEE  Digital
Library.

Examples of desired work may include at least the  following:
- Case study examples from industry and academia that  illustrate
workplace applications.
- Academic cases that highlight or  refute this shift in the curricula.
- Frameworks that help companies  transform practice from the past to
the present for the future.
-  Technologies that help companies build knowledge systems from  their
information systems.
- Commentaries on IS as a scientific discipline  (what is "science"?
What are outcomes of scientific endeavors?)
- Papers  of the value of IS as it stands as a functional area in an
organization
-  Examples of evidence based research that demonstrates the
application of  theoretical concepts, and that support the premise of
this track

How  to Submit a Paper: Follow Author Instructions on the conference web
site.
http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/hicss_47/apahome47.htm

HICSS papers  must contain original material. They may not have been
previously published,  nor currently submitted elsewhere. All
submissions undergo a double-blind  peer review process; so initial
submission must be without author  names.

Abstracts are optional, but strongly recommended. You may contact  the
Minitrack Chair(s) for guidance or verification of content.

Submit  a paper to only one Minitrack. If a paper is submitted to more
than one  minitrack, then either paper may be rejected by either
minitrack without  consultation with author or other chairs.  If you
are not sure of the  appropriate Minitrack, submit an abstract to the
Track Chair(s) – see names  and contact information below, for
determination, and/or seek informal  opinion(s) of Minitrack Chair(s)
before submitting.
Do not author or  co-author more than 5 papers. This means that an
individual may be listed as  author or co-author on no more than 5
submitted papers. Track Chairs must  approve any names added after
submission or acceptance on August  15.

Important 2013 Deadlines for Authors

Anytime prior to June 1st  - Submit an abstract/idea to any of the
mini-track co-chairs.
June 15  -  Submit full manuscripts for review as instructed. The
review is  double-blind; therefore, this initial submission must be
without author  names.
Aug 15 - Review System emails Acceptance Notices to authors. It  is
very important that at least one author of each accepted paper  attend
the conference. Therefore, all travel guarantees – including visa  or
your organization’s fiscal funding procedures – should  begin
immediately.  Make sure your server accepts the review system  address
https://precisionconference.com/~hicss.
Sept 15 -  SUBMIT  FINAL PAPER. Add author names to your paper, and
submit your Final Paper for  Publication to the site provided in your
Acceptance Notice. (This URL is not  public knowledge.)
Oct 1 - Early Registration fee deadline. At least one  author of each
paper should register by this date in order secure publication  in the
Proceedings. Fees will increase on Oct 2 and Dec 2.
Oct 15 - Papers  without at least one paid-in-full registered author
may be deleted from the  Proceedings and not scheduled for
presentation; authors will be so notified  by the Conference Office.

Go Here for more information:
Mini-Track -  Information Systems to Knowledge Systems: Issues in
Knowledge and Systems  Research
http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/hicss_47/track/ks/KS-Information.pdf

Knowledge  Systems Track - http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/hicss_47/ks.html

HICSS -  http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/hicss_47/apahome47.htm

Or Contact any of the  Mini-track Co-Chairs –

Minitrack Co-Chairs
Kevin Lee Elder (Primary  Contact)
Georgia Southern University
1100 IT Drive, Suite  3126
Statesboro GA 30460
kelder at georgiasouthern.edu

Alan  Litchfield
Auckland University of Technology
School of Computing and  Mathematical Sciences
Private Bag 92006
Auckland 1142 New  Zealand
alan.litchfield at aut.ac.nz

Andrew Urbaczewski