[AISWorld] Earliest Undergraduate Program in Information Systems in a College of Business

Doug isdoug at cityu.edu.hk
Mon Aug 26 21:41:44 EDT 2013

Interesting!!

Sent from my iPhone

On 27 Aug, 2013, at 4:54 AM, Ping Wang <pwang at umd.edu> wrote:

> Here is Professor Clay Sprowls' own memory of this 1953 course and the use of Standards Western Automatic Computer (SWAC) at UCLA business school (1952-1955):
> http://personal.anderson.ucla.edu/clay.sprowls/history/SWAC/earlyuse.htm
> More of this early computing history at: http://personal.anderson.ucla.edu/clay.sprowls/
> Clay passed away in 2011.
>
> Ping Wang, Ph.D.
> University of Maryland, College Park
> http://terpconnect.umd.edu/~pwang/
> On 8/26/2013 3:30 PM, Ephraim McLean wrote:
>> Our degree program here at Georgia State University began             in 1969, so MSU has us beat.  But if the question is business-school-based courses in computing, the title goes             to ULCA which offered a course in business statistics using             the SWAC (octal) computer in 1953, taught by Prof.  Clay Sprowls.  Eph McLean
>>
>> Ephraim R. McLean, Ph.D., FAIS
>> Regents' Professor
>> George E. Smith (GRA) Eminent Scholar's Chair
>>    in Information Systems
>> Department Chair, Computer Information Systems Department
>> Director, Center for Research in Information Systems
>> Director, Center for Health Information Technology
>> Robinson College of Business
>> Georgia State University
>> Atlanta, Georgia 30303
>> E-mail:  EMcLean at GSU.edu
>> Phone:  1-404-413-7448
>>
>> From: Gary Templeton <GTempleton at business.msstate.edu>
>> Date: Saturday, August 24, 2013 9:35 AM
>> To: "aisworld at lists.aisnet.org" <aisworld at lists.aisnet.org>
>> Subject: [AISWorld] Earliest Undergraduate Program in Information Systems in a College of Business
>>
>> AIS Colleagues,
>> At this time, the earliest known computer-related degree program in a college of business began in 1963 at Mississippi State University.
>>
>> Does anyone have information on an earlier one?
>>
>> It has to be in a college of business and have a computer-based name.
>>
>> I will report any earlier one that I can verify to the group.
>>
>> Gary
>>

>> ______________________________________
>> Dr. Gary Templeton
>> Associate Professor of MIS
>> Management & Information Systems Department
>> P.O. Box 9581
>> Mississippi State, MS 39762
>> Office: (662) 325-1956
>> Dept: (662) 325-3928
>> Fax: (662) 325-8651
>> gtempleton at cobilan.msstate.edu
>> http://misweb.cbi.msstate.edu/gtempleton

Disclaimer: This email (including any attachments) is for the use of the intended recipient only and may contain confidential information and/or copyright material. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email and all copies from your system. Any unauthorized use, disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or other form of unauthorized dissemination of the contents is expressly prohibited.