[AISWorld] Responses to inquiry about text book for intermediate database course

Sullivan, John J. jjsullivan at usf.edu
Mon Oct 28 15:48:17 EDT 2013

Colleagues,

I am very grateful for the outpouring of responses to my inquiry about a good text book for an intermediate database course.  Many thanks to those who responded.  The responses are below.

Regards,
John

John J. Sullivan, Ph.D.
School of Information
University of South Florida

 I use Joan Casteel's Oracle 11g: SQL (Cengage), and supplement it with my own materials on database design and normalization.  I have them do four or five UML or ER diagrams of increasing complexity using Visio, based on cases I have created.  This includes an exercise in constructing a normalized database design starting from a bunch of unrelated, unnormalized spreadsheets.  After about three weeks on these topics, we dive into SQL.  In our curriculum, we cover the last four topics you listed in other courses.  We also have an advanced course on database administration.  The administration class covers:
•	Oracle database architecture and installation
•	DBA Tools
•	Creating database instances using both SQL and DBA Tools
•	Using data dictionary views to monitor database activities
•	Working with log files, control files and diagnostic files
•	Creating, modifying and dropping tablespaces
•	Managing tables and indexes, control storage settings, LOB storage, and portioning
•	System and object privileges, profiles and roles.
•	Security, backup and recovery

For this course, we used Powell and McCullough-Dieter, Oracle 10g Database Administrator: Implementation and Administration, 2nd Edition (Cengage) the last time we taught it, which has been a couple of years.

I hope this helps!

Best,
Bob

Bob Brookshire, Professor
Integrated Information Technology Program

I recommend 4 books (in alphabetical order):

Connoly, Thomas; Begg, Carolyn (2010). Database Systems: a Practical Approach to Design, Implementation, and Management. Upper Sadle River, NJ: Pearson Education.
Coronel, Carlos; Morris, Steven & Rob, Peter (2013). Database Principles: Fundamentals of Design, Implementation and Management – 10th Edition. Independence, KY: Cengage Learning.
Date, C. J. (2004). An Introduction to Database Systems. Upper Sadle River, NJ: Pearson Education.
Elmasri, R. & Navathe, S.B. (2007). Fundamentals of Database Systems. Upper Sadle River, NJ: Pearson Education.
The first one, Connoly & Begg, is probably more "enginery focused". I consider that all of them are good books. They suggest in the introduction different ways to follow the book accordingly to the course level. You can choose the one that better suits your ideas for the course.
Hope it will help! :-)
Best,
Ana Azevedo

I now self-publish my data management text after getting the rights reverted by Wiley. It has been revised and four chapters added.

It is $10 in Kindle format.

See http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E8HS8N2 and http://richardtwatson.com/dm6e/

Cheers

Rick

I would recommend this textbook:

Hoffer, J.A., Prescott, M.B., and McFadden, F.R. Modern Database Management, Prentice Hall

Jiming Wu
Assistant Professor, Department of Management
College of Business and Economics
California State University, East Bay
Tel: (510)885-3099
Email: jiming.wu at csueastbay.edu

I use Database Systems: A Practical Approach to Design, Implementation and Management (5th ed) by Connelly and Begg. The students in my class have had the equivalent of a one semester undergraduate course in database which means, as a practical matter, they can create an MS Access database and write a few simple queries. I like the Connelly and Begg book because there is sufficient detail that they can use it to catch up if there background is a little thin. And it also covers more advanced topics that I like to address in my class.
John

Sure, John, try my current book, in its second edition.  I’m shamelessly going to attach some reviewer comments from the first edition to this email.

Fundamentals of Database Management Systems, 2nd edition
by Mark L. Gillenson
John Wiley & Sons, 2012.

Mark

Mark L. Gillenson, PhD, CCP
Professor of Management Information Systems
Fogelman College of Business and Economics
The University of Memphis
Memphis, TN 38152

Hi John
I have used Kroenke, David. Database Processing: Fundamentals, Design, and
Implementation (12th Edition). Prentice-Hall, 2012. which is Ok.
Some typos....but good.

Thanks and regards.
Sumantra Sarkar, MS, MBA, PMP, CISA, ISO 20000 Auditor
Adjunct Faculty and Doctoral student
Department of Computer Information Systems
J Mack Robinson College of Business
Georgia State University
Atlanta, GA  30302-4015