[AISWorld] Professor of Practice in data science at Syracuse University School of Information Studies

Jason Dedrick jdedrick at syr.edu
Tue Feb 17 10:46:35 EST 2015

Syracuse University's School of Information Studies (The iSchool) is soliciting applications to join its renowned and interdisciplinary faculty as Professor of Practice in Data Science. A Professor of Practice should combine significant professional accomplishment with an active interest in teaching, connecting professional practice to the classroom, and continued professional engagement. The iSchool welcomes applications from both emerging and established practitioners.

The iSchool seeks a professor of practice in the area of "Data Science." Data Science is a broad category that includes a mixture of databases, (SQL, NoSQL, unstructured data, etc.), statistics, programming, analytics, algorithms, data mining, machine learning, natural language processing, visualization, and business intelligence. Demonstrated experience and expertise in one or more of these areas is essential to this position.

We seek applicants whose professional achievements and teaching interests complement and advance the instructional needs of the iSchool's curricula while also helping us remain connected to practice. Evidence of professional accomplishment as a technologist, analyst, or manager is expected. Ability and willingness to facilitate students' exposure to practice is valued. Collegiate or professional teaching experience and a commitment to teaching excellence will be a competitive advantage in our evaluations. Rank and years of experience for these positions are open. For a Professor of Practice, a completed doctoral degree in a relevant field of study may be helpful but is not required. Evidence of the ability to carry lessons and experience from professional practice to the classroom will be a distinguishing characteristic of successful applicants. We encourage women and underrepresented minorities to apply.

Applicants must submit a cover letter outlining their interests and qualifications (including the rank they are seeking); a current curriculum vitae; a statements describing teaching interests and accomplishments; and names and contact information of at least three references to: www.sujobopps.com. JOB #071615. Strong candidates will be contacted for letters of reference and asked to provide a teaching portfolio or other evidence of teaching experience. Please do not submit these items with the initial application. We encourage women and underrepresented minorities to apply.

We will begin screening applicants on March 1, 2015 and continue accepting applications until the positions are filled. The search may extend into the 2015-2016 academic year. Questions may be directed to Dr. Robert Heckman, the search chair, at rheckman at syr.edu
Syracuse University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.