[AISWorld] Summary of responses:Teaching modeling skills in Information Systems Discipline

ilia ilia at ibissoft.se
Sun May 17 13:00:49 EDT 2015

Dear colleagues,

For two years ago I asked for works on teaching modeling skills in IS
(see the initial request at the end of this message), and got a number
of useful tips, included, but not limited to the ones listed in the last
message I sent to the list (see below). Since then, we have done some
experimental work on the topic, some results from which have been
presented and published. For those who are interested in the topic, here
are the links to our published materials:

1. Bider, I., Henkel, M., Kowalski, S., Perjons, E. Technology Enhanced
Learning of Modeling Skills in the Field of Information Systems. In:
Nunes, M.P., Isaís, P., Powell, P., eds. Proceedings of 8th IADIS
International Conference on Information systems, Madeira, Portugal,
14-16 March, 2015, IADIS Press, pp. 121-128. Pre-proceedings version is
available at http://bit.ly/1e5Hodh. Slides of presentations:
http://bit.ly/1QRbnni. An extended version just appeared in Emerald
Journal: Interactive Technology and Smart Education (ITSE):
http://bit.ly/1cIANEG

2. Bider I., Henkel, M., Kowalski, S., Perjons, E.
<http://bit.ly/1KTWpJm>Teaching Enterprise Modeling Based on Multi-media
Simulation: A Pragmatic Approach. In: Benyoucef, M. et al. (Eds.):
E-Technologies, LNBIP Vol. 209, Springer 2015, pp. 239-254.
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-319-17957-5_16.
Pre-proceedings version: http://bit.ly/1KTWpJm.

The two papers, though intersect, do not coincide. The first is more on
the pedagogical problem, the other one is more on the technical solution.

Thanks you for always providing help in our work by responding to the
requests.

Best regards

Ilia

On 4/18/2013 5:21 PM, Ilia Bider wrote:
> Based on the responses on my request (see below), I got the following
> list (and some papers as well)
>
> 1. "An Introduction to Models in the Social Sciences" by Charles Lave
> and Jim March (1975, 1993)
> 2. "Teaching Business Process Modelling: Experiences and
> Recommendations" by Jan Recker Michael Rosemann, Communications of
> the AIS, Volume 25, 2009.
> 3. "Teaching Novice Conceptual Data Modellers to Become Experts" by
> John R. Venable, Proceedings of the 1996 International Conference on
> Software Engineering: Education and Practice (SE:EP '96)
> 4. "Experiencing the Elicitation of User Requirements and Recording
> Them in Use Case Diagrams through Role-Play" by Gay Costain, Brad
> McKenna, Journal of Information Systems Education, Vol. 22, No. 4, 2011
>
> Thanks a lot to all who responded
>
> Best regards/Ilia
>
> ---------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 18:38:46 +0200
> From:ilia at ibissoft.se
> To:aisworld at lists.aisnet.org
> Subject: [AISWorld] Teaching modeling skills in Information Systems
> Discipline
>
> Dear colleagues,
>
> I would appreciate very much getting any literary sources that discuss
> the problem of teaching/learning modeling skills in the field of
> Information Systems. In particular, I am interested in sources that
> discuss modeling from reality, not from preprepared material that
> describes a case in a natural language, e.g., from interviews,
> observations, document analysis, etc. It does not matter what kind of
> modeling is involved, can be database modeling, process modeling,
> conceptual modeling, system modeling, or what kind of a modeling
> language is used, can be domain specific, UML, etc.

Dr. Ilia Bider
Process- och systemutvecklingskonsult at IbisSoft.se
Lektor & Forskare/Docent i data- och systemvetenskap at DSV.su.se
ilia at ibissoft.se        +46 (0)8 164998
Agile research? http://bit.ly/1KUdhj2