[AISWorld] Resources for Python

Jerry Flatto jflatto at uindy.edu
Wed Mar 23 09:19:34 EDT 2016

As a follow-up to my question related to R resources, I would like to ask if
faculty have resources for Python.  I have received some wonderful responses
to my request for resources related to R that I will be sharing with the
list but some folks also recommended looking at Python.

Thus, I am looking for any resources related to Python such as websites,
tutorials, books, videos, etc.  I will share what I receive.

Background - We are currently using IBM SPSS Modeler in our curriculum.
This is a powerful and relatively easy to use software package that can
perform a variety of predictive analytics tasks as well as text analytics.
The  software uses a visual interface and "nodes" that can be connected
together to accomplish a wide variety of data mining tasks.  IBM makes the
software and all the training material available for free use as part of
their academic initiative.  Students can also install SPSS Modeler on their
own computers assuming they are running Windows.
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/analytics/spss/products/modeler/   However,
outside of the academic initiative, the software is quite expensive and I do
not see many (most) of the companies where my students get hired having SPSS
Modeler due to its cost.  Thus, I am looking for alternatives such as R and
Python which are free to use in the curriculum since the students will have
access to these packages once they graduate.

Thanks.

Jerry

"No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a large
number
of electrons were slightly inconvenienced..."

Dr. Jerry Flatto, Professor, Information Systems Department - School of
Business

University of Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
<mailto:jflatto at pobox.com> mailto:jflatto at pobox.com

Confidentiality Notice: This communication and/or its content are for the
sole use of the intended recipient, and may be privileged, confidential, or
otherwise protected from disclosure by law.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender and then delete all copies of it.
Unless you are the intended recipient, your use or dissemination of the
information contained in this communication may be illegal.