[AISWorld] ECIS in Istanbul 12 - 15 June 2016

Asli Sencer asli.sencer at boun.edu.tr
Wed Mar 23 09:29:42 EDT 2016

Dear colleagues:

Like you, the conference chairs for ECIS 2016 have been shocked by the two
unfortunate terrorist attacks in Istanbul early this year, as we are about
the recent ones in various European locations. And indeed we cannot
guarantee that there will not be another one.

However, you can rest assured that Turkish Government is every bit as
conscientious, competent and hardheaded in clamping down on global
terrorism as governments/authorities in Paris, Baltimore or Brussels.

When one hears about something terrible like a terrorist attack, the
*emotional* reaction is immediate. Let’s cancel and stay at home! Indeed
some governments are recommending tourists and business people not to go to
the South Eastern regions of Turkey close to the border to Syria. But these
areas are over 1000 km. away from lovely Istanbul.

As scientists and scholars, our reaction should be governed by* rational*,
*analytic* thinking. The facts are:

   - Istanbul has 14 million inhabitants and receives more than 12 million
   tourists every year.
   - Every life lost in terrorist attacks is one too many. But the risk
   that something will happen to ECIS or ECIS attendants is extremely low –
   more or less on the same risk level as if you stayed at home in Amsterdam,
   Berlin, Brussels or Copenhagen.
   - Every day for the next four months there are on average five
   international conferences in Istanbul – see e.g.
   http://www.conferencealerts.com/city-listing?city=istanbul
   - ECIS 2016 in Istanbul will be held at Bogazici University, a fenced in
   campus on a hilltop with guards all around and no access for unauthorized
   vehicles or people – and we can assure you that security will be at its
   highest alert level.
   - Conference hotels are also selected away from the touristic
   attractions and shuttle service will be provided for the transportation
   between the hotels and the conference venue.

We will point out to you those sightseeing locations in Istanbul that are
stunningly beautiful, but not overcrowded, and hence safer. However, we bet
that you will prefer to attend the social activities of our conference that
will take place in peaceful locations every day. The welcoming reception
invites you to the scenic campus of Bogazici University. The next evening,
we will be enchanted by the lights of Bosphorus on a boat trip with dinner.
The third evening we will have a magical gala dinner in a historic mansion
by the Bosphorus, with secured entry, that will be totally reserved for
ECIS participants.

In conclusion, unless there is a serious deterioration of the security
situation in Istanbul, we shall go ahead with ECIS 2016 in the beautiful
and exciting city of Istanbul and in the lovely campus of Bogazici
University.

While we have considered the feasibility of a change in venue, and have
taken into account many factors, including the fact that probably more than
100 attendants have already made financial commitments (flights, hotels)
that they cannot recoup, as well as the cost, timing and desirability of
finding an alternative location, it is our conclusion at this time is that
Istanbul is still the place to hold ECIS 2016.

In the unlikely event that security threats become significantly higher,
and we are forced to cancel  the conference,  all participants will receive
full reimbursement of their registration fees paid.

We do sincerely hope that peace and calm will prevail, and that we will
celebrate an unforgettably successful ECIS-Istanbul. Look forward to see
you there.

Izak Benbasat, Niels Bjørn-Andersen, Asli Sencer
ECIS 2016-Istanbul Conference General Co-Chairs
www.ecis2016.eu