[AISWorld] Addressing the Financial Times 45 Journal List

MurphJen at aol.com MurphJen at aol.com
Thu Jun 9 14:39:38 EDT 2016

My question is why use a list at all?  We are not producing journals,  we
produce articles and given that we have tools like google scholar and publish
 and perish we can gather statistics on each article and make a case for
the  quality of the article.  I've always wondered about the halo effect of a
journal (both positive and negative) and have never thought it fair that a
good  article in a lesser journal is considered less impressive than a
mediocre  article in a great journal.  I do understand that the process followed
by a  journal impacts the quality of the final article but as an editor in
chief I  also know that not all articles in a journal are equally great.
Hence my  question why we rely on a secondary source (the journal) rather than
the  primary source (the article) to determine quality of research.

Murray E. Jennex, Ph.D., P.E., CISSP, CSSLP, PMP
Professor MIS, San Diego State University
Editor in Chief International Journal of Knowledge Management
Co-editor in Chief International Journal of Information Systems for Crisis
Response and Management

In a message dated 6/9/2016 10:42:03 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,