[AISWorld] Influential IS Papers Discourse - Part 3 Nominate papers

Galletta, Dennis galletta at katz.pitt.edu
Mon Aug 1 21:18:36 EDT 2016

This is quite interesting. At the risk of beating this to death, as some academics do, I think one additional measure should be added: Some measure of media coverage. If the media cares about it, then it seems to add to the evidence of importance. It could work into your last two measures in some way.

I have heard some of Erik Brynjolffsson's work described on NPR. I thought of this mainly because of a few very short news articles from two or three of my experiments in the past, but just look at the scale of Erik's coverage! I did a couple of radio interviews on some local stations and some excerpts related to a story of this new thing called the Web on All Things Considered on NPR back in 1997 or 1998, and even that was pretty exciting. I have also seen news reports that relate to work by Carol Saunders as well. I'm sure many other IS professors have been in the news, too.

Maybe longer into the future, we should consider measures of popular media like books and movies. For instance, A Beautiful Mind, a movie that was based on Nash (2001) and, of course, recently the Theory of Everything (Hawking). Maybe we will see a movie about UTAUT someday, however, having four authors make it more difficult!

DG

Dennis F. Galletta                      Professor of Business Administration
University of Pittsburgh                 and Director, Katz Doctoral Program
282a Mervis Hall                            Katz Graduate School of Business
Phone +1 412-648-1699                                  Pittsburgh, PA  15260
E-mail: galletta @                                       Fax +1 412-624-3633
        katz.pitt.edu                       homepage: www.pitt.edu/~galletta