[AISWorld] Influential IS Papers Discourse - Part 3 Nominate papers

Samir Chatterjee profsamir1 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 22:16:37 EDT 2016

Dear Dennis, Bill & Manual,

I agree with Dennis that media coverage is a testimony that the
work/research has permeated to the common masses, hence it  is probably
valuable to society.

Manual, I hear what you say however engineering and computer science are
very well established disciplines. When we started the discourse on Design
Science Research, we wanted to make sure that we as IS community can
distinguish what we do from pure CS or Engineering. After all the nexus of
DSR comes from Herb Simon's seminal work, emphasizing design. It is obvious
that certain engineering theory or hard core technical CS work will not be
referenced in DSR specially in the IS context. We as a community should
promote problem solving but the source of our problems comes from the
intersection of technology, people and organization. That's what
distinguishes us. In fact I strongly suggest all senior editors in IS to
ask for "what problem did you solve?" in their journal submissions. This
can strengthen our field and showing evidence of value becomes easier. DSR
is meant to do that as a research method.

Bill, you have a point. I have asked for papers since we know that journal
and conference articles are peer reviewed. But you can also propose a book
that you think has had influence. There are many other artifacts that have
influence but without "peer" review it is difficult to weed out which is
good and which is not. For example, someone may write a blog or a newspaper
column that actually may be read by more IS folks than some journal papers.
But one could argue that this is his/her opinion. We live and work in a
system of "peer review". So as long as your work or artifact has been
evaluated by others, please go ahead and submit your nomination.

Sincerely
Samir

profsamir1 at gmail.com
http://sites.cgu.edu/chatterjees/

Director, *Innovations Design Empowerment Applications Laboratory* (IDEA
Labs) http://www.idea-labs.net/
Author: http://designscienceresearch.wordpress.com/about/