[AISWorld] Influential IS Papers Discourse - Part 3 Nominate papers

Samir Chatterjee profsamir1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 11:15:52 EDT 2016

Dear Manuel,

I suggest that you write a clear article that critiques what literature
IS/IT DSR has missed based on strong arguments and submit that article for
peer review. I do not think that throwing our a few topics here and there
and saying MIT does it makes a very strong argument. In fact we are
deviating from the main focus, that is, can we find a set of articles
written by IS researchers that has had influence?

Many here know that I have been a champion of DSR. However I am also a big
fan of good solid behavioral work. My next door office neighbor in
Claremont is Prof. Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. Many of you will recognize him
as the inventor of "flow". His book and his papers on that topic has nearly
15,000 citations, flow is the basis of several positive psychology based
startup companies, Mike has appeared nearly on all TV stations (CNN, BBC)
and of course has a fascinating talk at TED. Now that I call impact and
influence. So while design science research can lead to interesting
artifacts that can become commercialized and help society so too can
behavioral work.

My main goal is very simple. Let us stop talking about so called elite
journals in MIS by name. Let us focus on content and good work. Let us give
our next generation of students and scholars something exciting to look
forward to. Let us collectively create a list of articles that IS community
can say "Look we have also had some real world impact".

Researchers have said we have theory fetish in IS. Some have said you have
to write your paper in a scripted way otherwise it will not be accepted in
MISQ or ISR. That has to stop. Enough is enough. Let us focus on good
research, that practitioners can use as well as academics can use. A
culture has emerged in IS community that has not been very healthy. It has
helped a few but as is clearly seen through this board and discussions, a
vast majority of researchers are frustrated by the status quo. Again I
encourage all senior editors of our journals to think hard and look at what
papers are being published and how many of them really has an impact?

I am receiving many nominations. At this time the review panel is being
expanded. AIS has come forth to help us with this initiative. A colleague
of mine said that I have become the Bernie Sanders of IS, ie I have started
a revolution. I didn't intend to. But let this revolution not die.
Cheers
Samir

profsamir1 at gmail.com

Labs) http://www.idea-labs.net/