[AISWorld] Promoting our MIS programs

Jerry Flatto jflatto at uindy.edu
Mon Apr 3 12:21:27 EDT 2017

<<Yes, I am aware that I am sending this to the AIS World.  It is not an
accidental "reply all" since I feel that this should be an important topic
for our discipline. >>

Rick,

Are you familiar with the College Board? This organization is responsible
for administering the SAT and connecting students to colleges, etc.  They
gather high school student information in a number of areas including
college majors of interest.

Many universities then buy information from the College Board that they use
for attracting high school students to their university.  Think mailing
lists of students that colleges buy from the College Board that the
universities can send material to...

Last time I checked not that long ago with our university admissions folks,
"Information Systems" is not even listed for a high school student to select
as a potential major in college; the closest is "Computer Science".

Thus, in my university, as in many universities, new college students have
no idea what is Information Systems or related (analytics, ERP, etc.) and
equate Information Systems and Computer Science.  That is one of the major
issues to overcome.

I don't have a good solution but interested in what others think.  To be
honest, part of my solution is moving away from undergraduates and focusing
more on graduate program.

Jerry

"No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a large
number
of electrons were slightly inconvenienced..."

Dr. Jerry Flatto, Professor, Information Systems Department - School of
Business
University of Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
mailto:jflatto at uindy.edu

Confidentiality Notice: This communication and/or its content are for the
sole use of the intended recipient, and may be privileged, confidential, or
otherwise protected from disclosure by law.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender and then delete all copies of it.
Unless you are the intended recipient, your use or dissemination of the
information contained in this communication may be illegal.