[AISWorld] On IaaS platforms for IT Labs in IT undergraduate/graduate programs?

mmora at securenym.net mmora at securenym.net
Tue Apr 4 20:29:13 EDT 2017

Dear colleagues from AIS working on IT Networks/ IT Data Centers / IT
Clouds Platforms / IT Virtualization themes:

I  co-managed an academic micro DataCenter laboratory (2 racks, IBM blades
HS12/HS22, VLANs, several switches, 1 router, 1 firewall, 1 RAID with 8
TB, 1 tape unit, and additional monitoring devices), and we are moving to
implement a basic IaaS with open source cloud platforms (OpenStack,
CloudStack, and similar platforms).

Well, whether someone  has implemented one of them or has had user
experiences, we would appreciate generals comments on benefits, hidden
problems, cautions, estimated time effort, usability on the GUI of these
platforms,  and final impacts. Of course, there a lot of resources
directly from these suppliers (demos, videos, tutorials, comparison
papers, and so on) but a lived opinion of peers is highly appreciated!

Our aim is implement/launch it as a cloud IaaS for didactic purpose for
senior and graduate courses on Management and Engineering of IT Data
Centers. This email fosters also to promote the teaching, research and
practice of Data Center Systems themes in our IT undergraduate and MIS
graduate curricula, and create an initial CoP in AIS list interested in
these great topics!

Thanks in advance for comments!

Prof. Mora

PS. Co-organizer of the special session on E&M of Data Center Systems at
The 2017 World Congress in Computer Science Computer Engineering & Applied
Computing | CSCE'17, July 17-20, 2017, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

http://americancse.org/events/csce2017/conferences/eee17/featured_sessions

Manuel Mora, EngD.
Full-time Professor and Researcher Level C
ACM Senior Member / SNI Level I
Department of Information Systems
Autonomous University of Aguascalientes
Ave. Universidad 940