[AISWorld] A Larger Question - ECIS 2017 - Panel Discussion: Making an Impact in a Publish-or-Perish World (June 9, 2-4 pm)

mmora at securenym.net mmora at securenym.net
Fri Jun 2 20:17:03 EDT 2017

Professor Palvia, I congratulate for addressing a "known secret" for
senior researchers in our discipline. It is clear that called top journals
in the last 10-15 years have priliveged a particular style, a particular
research method and particular topics, and indirectly it can be associated
to particular research groups and graduate IS programs. While in other
disciplines, researchers working in graduate schools outside of the "big
leagues" get 1 or 2 publications in highest ranked journals (Computer
Sciences, Biology, Chemical, Nuclear Engineering, and so on) in MIS it is
practically impossible. I have meet Mexican colleagues graduate from
highest top universities (top 5 at USA) and get published in MIS area has
been a barrier for them. My case is actually far away of these issues,
because my PhD is from a mexican university ranked on 100-150 in the
151-200 range in the worldwide ranking:
http://www.shanghairanking.com/World-University-Rankings/National-Autonomous-University-of-Mexico.html
However, we have get to be published in respected IEEE or other
engineering journals. Is there really an implicit social-behavioral bias
in MIS research at present? My conjecture is that is true and it has been
strongly influenced for assigning more weight to the relationed support
disciplines to MIS (i.e. Economy, Psychology, Marketing, and so on) that
on the core MIS/IT issues. As a final example, while the construct and
real entity of EDP (Electronic Data Processing) unit was highly researched
in the past, at present, their updated concept of Data Centers Units are
totally ignored in journals and tops conferences like ICIS, ECIS, PACIS
and AMCIS.
We need, at least, to address these issues in this kind of forums.
Sincerely,
Prof. Mora

Manuel Mora, EngD.
Full-time Professor and Researcher Level C
ACM Senior Member / SNI Level I
Department of Information Systems
Autonomous University of Aguascalientes
Ave. Universidad 940