[AISWorld] CFP: Autonomous vehicles in society: Building a research agenda (May 18-19, 2018, East Lansing MI)

Kevin G Crowston crowston at syr.edu
Thu Jan 11 16:38:30 EST 2018

Autonomous vehicles in society: Building a research agenda
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI, United States, May 18-19, 2018

Conference website https://waim.network/AVS18
Submission link https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=avs18
Submission deadline February 16, 2018
Decisions announced March 2, 2018

Connected and autonomous vehicles will soon be a part of our everyday reality. The World Economic Forum (2016) describes their immanent arrival as a “Fourth Industrial Revolution,” signaling the scope and scale of the expected impacts. Yet, far from being mere technical innovations, connected and autonomous vehicle can be described accurately as ". . .intelligent, interactive, and highly networked machines . . .with which people increasingly share their autonomy and agency” (NSF, DCL 17-065). As history shows, systems such as these can have far reaching social, professional, economic, legal, and ethical implications.

We invite posters that explore the implications of autonomous vehicles in society. In keeping with the goals of the WAIM RCN, we are particularly interested in impacts on and implications for work. To facilitate our interest in building an interdisciplinary research agenda, we offer participants two ways to contribute: 1) a poster that documents current empirical research or 2) a poster that proposes generative future research. We encourage participation from any disciplinary perspective, including (but not limited to) urban planning, computer science, sociology, information systems, transportation, economics, psychology, law, media studies, engineering, public policy, artificial intelligence—any perspective that can help foster convergent thinking around this increasingly important topic in our society.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

The following types of posters are welcome:

Track 1: Current Empirical Research:  What is happening now?
Posters in this track should report on studies that examine the current state of the art with regard to connected and autonomous vehicles. Possible topics include (but are not limited to) human-vehicle interaction, transportation systems, urban design, algorithmic decision making, cybersecurity, etc.

Track 2: Research questions:  What will happen next?
Posters in this track should identify generative research questions and potential study designs. For any particular question, we are especially interested in identifying necessary empirical requirements, including data, site access, etc. What would be needed to answer your question?
Abstracts should be formatted using the ACM SIGCHI Extended Abstract format and submitted as a single PDF file. 3-5 pages should be sufficient, all inclusive.

SUPPORT FOR DOCTORAL STUDENTS and POST-DOCS
We have a limited pool of funds available to pay travel expenses for U.S.-based doctoral students and post-docs.

VENUE
The conference will be held at the James B. Henry Center for Executive Development at Michigan State University (3535 Forest Rd., Lansing, MI, 48910, USA). The workshop will begin at 8 am ET on Friday, May 18, adjourning after lunch on Saturday, May 19. There is no fee for participation, but attendees will be responsible for their own travel and accommodations.

SPONSORS
This workshop is the first in a series sponsored by the Research Collaboration Network on Work in the Age of Intelligent Machines (NSF IIS-1745463). It is co-sponsored by the MSU Center for Business and Social Analytics, in cooperation with the MSU Institute for Public Policy and Social Research and the School of Planning, Design and Construction.

MORE INFORMATION
Kevin Crowston: crowston at syr.edu
Ingrid Erickson: imericks at syr.edu
Jeff Nickerson: jnickerson at stevens.edu