[AISWorld] Management and Business Review (MBR) launch

Richard Watson rickwatson at mac.com
Fri Nov 9 09:01:46 EST 2018

Hi

I would like to make you aware of the following announcement.

Note that there are several department editors for IS related topics.

Bhaskar Chakravorty, Tufts University (Digital Innovation and Emerging Markets)
Sunil Mithas, University of Maryland (Digital Transformations)
Satish Nambisan, Case Western Reserve University (Technology and Innovation)
Geoff Parker, Dartmouth College (Digital Transformations)
David Simchi-Levi, MIT (Operations Management and Big Data Analytics)
Richard Watson, University of Georgia (Information Systems)
Rick Watson

Management and Business Review (MBR)

Mission and Call for Papers

We are happy to announce the upcoming launch of a new journal, Management and Business Review (MBR).  The goal of MBR is to bridge management practice, education and research, and thereby enhance all three.  With a targeted readership of managers, students, and professors, we hope and expect that this effort will increase the impact of academic research on organizations.

In contrast to the Harvard Business Review (HBR), the Sloan Management Review (SMR), and the California Management Review (CMR), which are each published by a single school, MBR is the result of a grassroots initiative with a wide participation by many schools and companies.

Call for Papers

We invite you to submit your practitioner-oriented papers to MBR.  All submissions should include an abstract of maximum 40 words and should be submitted, preferably in Microsoft Word, at   <>https://mc04.manuscriptcentral.com/mbr <https://mc04.manuscriptcentral.com/mbr>.  The editors will decide in less than two months whether the paper is publishable.  Please read this document before writing your paper.  It describes the mission of the journal and the guidelines for papers. <>
Editorial Team

MBR’s editors-in-chief are

·       Wallace J. Hopp, Distinguished University Professor and Associate Dean, Ross School of Business, University of Michigan (former Editor-in-Chief, Management Science)

·       Kalyan Singhal, McCurdy Professor of Innovation and Supply-Chain Management, Merrick School of Business, University of Baltimore (Editor-in-Chief, Production and Operations Management)

The editorial team is organized in a multi-level structure:

A.    Advisors:  MBR has 122 advisors, including editors of prominent research journals and 11 professors from Wharton; eight from Harvard; six each from Dartmouth and MIT; five from Carnegie Mellon; four each from North Carolina and Stanford; three each from Chicago, Columbia, Cornell, Duke, London Business School, Northwestern, and UCLA; and two each from California at Berkeley, Georgia State, Imperial College, Maryland, Michigan, NYU, and Ohio State.   <>Advisors also include 11 executives from Accenture, Alidale, Ashridge Strategic Management Centre, Bain & Company, Deloitte, Good Growth Capital, Mercer, and Monitor Deloitte who have published best-selling books for executives and articles in the journals like the Harvard Business Review.  Advisors will advise the editors on the strategic direction of MBR.  Their names are listed at the end of this plan.

B.    Deputy Editor in Chief: Subodha Kumar, Paul R. Anderson Distinguished Chair Professor of Supply Chain Management, Fox School of Business, Temple University.

C.    Autonomous Departmental Editors will receive paper submissions from authors. The department editors will have full authority to accept papers that may later go through extensive copy editing.  So far, the following people have agreed to serve as departmental editors:

1.     Bhaskar Chakravorty, Tufts University (Digital Innovation and Emerging Markets)

2.     Charles Corbett, UCLA (Sustainability)

Andreas Eisingerich, Imperial College (Marketing)
4.     Arnd Huchzermeier, WHU: Otto Beisheim School of Management (Global Supply Chains and Risk Management)

5.     Chris Ittner, Wharton School (Accounting)

6.     Kevin Keller, Dartmouth College (Marketing and Brand Management)

7.     Nirmalya Kumar, Singapore Management University (Marketing)

8.     Eva Labro, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Accounting)

9.     Sunil Mithas, University of Maryland (Digital Transformations)

10.  Satish Nambisan, Case Western Reserve University (Technology and Innovation)

11.  Geoff Parker, Dartmouth College (Digital Transformations)

12.  Ananth Raman, Harvard Business School (Retail Operations)

13.  Stefan Reichelstein, Stanford Business School (Energy and Sustainability)

14.  Sergei Savin, Wharton School (Healthcare Management)

15.  Anil Shivdasani, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Finance)

David Simchi-Levi, MIT (Operations Management and Big Data Analytics)
Kalyan Singhal, University of Baltimore (Areas not listed here)
18.  Jan-Benedict Steenkamp, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Marketing)

Jayashankar M. Swaminathan, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Operations Management)
Asoo Vakharia, University of Florida (Waste Management)
Richard Watson, University of Georgia (Information Systems)
Jeffrey R Williams, Carnegie-Mellon University (Strategic Management)
D.    Director of Editorial Operations: Mary Haight

E.    Associate Editors will assist department editors in getting papers reviewed.

F.    Editorial Review Board

In addition, we will call upon ad-hoc reviewers to assist departmental editors.  A professional editorial staff will work with the authors of accepted papers to produce truly compelling articles.

Cosponsors of MBR

1.     Anderson School of Management at UCLA

2.     China Europe International Business School

3.     City University of Hong Kong

4.     Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia

5.     Indian School of Business

6.     INSEAD

7.     Johnson College of Business at Cornell University

8.     Owen Graduate School of Business at Vanderbilt University

9.     Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan

10.  Tepper School of Business at Carnegie Mellon University

Liaisons

Liaisons will work with business school deans and AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business); schools in Australia, China, Europe, India, the rest of Asia, and North and South America; business community members; consulting firms; and editors of top research journals.  Eric Johnson, Ralph Owen Dean and Bruce D. Henderson Professor of Strategy, Owen School of Management, Vanderbilt University <> is our liaison with the members of the AACSB.

Partner Business Schools and Customized Editions of MBR for Each School

MBR is a grass-root initiative aimed at providing an opportunity for all schools to participate.  Schools that subscribe to MBR for all students will be listed as Partner Schools in MBR.  The partner schools will receive a 50 percent discount on the journal’s price when they subscribe for students and other constituents, including their faculty, alumni, and affiliated business community.  They will also receive a similar discount on their advertisements in the journal. <>
Upon request, MBR may be customized to the requirements of a partner school for its constituents (affiliated business community, alumni, students, and faculty).  For example, for the XYZ School of Management, MBR will have a banner headline on the front cover: “The XYZ School of Management Edition.”  If the school wishes, it can add supplementary material for its constituents.

Partner Companies and Customized Editions of MBR for Each Company

MBR seeks close collaboration with the business community.  Companies that subscribe for all senior executives will be listed as Partner Companies in MBR.  For these subscriptions, they will receive a 50 percent discount on the journal’s price.  They will also receive a similar discount on their advertisements in the journal.

A partner company may also request its own customized edition of the journal for its executives and constituents.  In the case of a consulting company, the constituents could include its clients.  If the company wishes, it can add supplementary material, including its own journal or magazine if it has one, for its constituents.

Nominations and Self-Nominations for the Editorial Team

You and your colleagues have the option of nominating themselves and others for the journal’s editorial team provided the nominees have a record that includes publications in leading practitioner and research journals, publications of books for practitioners, and consulting at senior levels of companies.

Please send your nominations for MBR’s editorial team to Kalyan Singhal at mbr at mbrjournal.com <mailto:mbr at mbrjournal.com> with the e-mail heading: Nominations for MBR.  In half a page or less for each nominee, please include the name, email address, and the areas of interest and list the names of the journals in which the nominee has published, and other qualifications.

Become a Part of MBR and Complimentary Copy of the First Issue

Please register yourself, your colleagues in your organization or other organizations, including your dean or your company head, at www.mbrjournal.com <http://www.mbrjournal.com/> so that we can send all of you the first issue of the journal and share with you more information on MBR.

Request to Share This Plan with Your Dean, Company Head, and Colleagues

We request you to share this plan with your dean or your company head and bring to her/his attention the option to customize MBR for your organization and its constituents.  We also request you to share this plan with your colleagues in your organization or in other organizations.

Why We Need Another Journal

The primary reason for developing a new journal is that we have over 20 million potential readers of such journals worldwide who have a broad range of needs for knowledge about management and business practices.  The existing sources, including HBR, SMR, and CMR and the enormous amount of information available on the Internet, meet only a fraction of their needs.

Furthermore, most of the over 200,000 business school professors around the world generally publish in about 1,500 research journals and practitioners’ journals focused on specific business disciplines.  Over 98 percent of them never attempt to publish in HBR, SMR, or CMR. They could be motivated to write papers for MBR with its broad community involvement, a different editorial structure, and different editorial processes.

To evolve a platform that encourages a wide range of writings that bridge the gaps between practice, education and research, we will emphasize the following:

1.     A much wider global perspective <>:  MBR will cover a much wider global perspective than any existing journal.  During the current decade, the high-income industrialized countries have started to account for less than 50 percent of the global gross product, and China has become the largest economy in the world based on purchasing power parity.  This shift, combined with the continuing rise of global networks for production of goods and services, has created new paradigms of managing organizations.

2.     In-depth coverage, rigor, and value density:  We plan to publish articles that are rigorous and cover topics in depth.  Furthermore, articles in MBR will be succinct and precise, ensuring that readers get maximum value per minute for the time they spend in reading.

3.     Drawing on an untapped pool of authors:  Since we plan to rely on numerous cosponsoring and partner schools, we expect to draw on a larger pool of academics who work on real-world problems than other publications do.  Most people in this pool do not publish in HBR, SMR, and CMR.  Articles from this pool, from the consulting community, and from practitioners will be the primary sources of papers for the Management and Business Review.

4.     Disseminating practical results from research journals: Some articles in academic research journals are pertinent to practice, but the practitioners rarely read them because they are written for academics. We plan to invite their authors to write “practitioners’ versions” of such articles and we plan to conduct workshops to help them in their rewriting.

Editorial Focus and Editorial Policies

The value proposition of MBR rests on the quality of its contents.  Articles must be interesting, relevant, and readable for a wide audience.  Although many of the ideas presented in MBR will be rooted in research, they must contain a clear management message.  It is therefore vital that all articles address real-world business systems.  Novel research results must be tied to concrete management practices.  Hence, the overarching characteristic of MBR will be articles that are relevant to the practice of management, efficiently written, and enjoyable to read.  To achieve this, articles will be concise, supplemented with visual graphics and rich in real-world connections.

We want to help managers run organizations and institutions more effectively and make better decisions.  If people work more productively, all of us—employees, bosses, customers, our families, and the people our businesses affect—will be better off.  We try to present ideas that will help readers to become smarter, more creative, and more confident in their work.  To do that, we seek out experts in management theory and practice and collaborate with them to express their thoughts to managers and to others working in their field.

We seek papers on many topics, including accounting, artificial intelligence and machine learning, business analytics, business and public policy, corporate governance, decision making, digitalization, finance, globalization, innovation, marketing, managing. negotiating, operations, organizational change, strategy, supply chains, and sustainability.  We publish articles of various lengths (in print and digital forms, or in digital form only, graphics, podcasts, videos, and slide presentations).  We consider five qualities when evaluating submitted papers:

(1) Expertise: You needn’t be well known but you must know a lot about your subject.

(2) Evidence:  Know your subject thoroughly and prove it to your readers.  Refer to supporting research and describe relevant examples.

(3) Originality:  New ideas in the field are rare and valuable and a primary reason that people read business papers.  In writing about a standard topic, focus on a novel argument or insight.

(4) Usefulness:  Readers want to know about new developments in management thinking and to change and improve the way their organizations operate.  Explain your thinking so they understand how to apply your ideas in real situations.

(5) Writing Style:  Make your writing persuasive and inviting.  Readers may be skeptical and busy.  Capture their interest quickly so they don’t look elsewhere.

Our editorial process is thorough, and we may ask you to do revisions.  Our copy editors will work with you to make your paper more attractive to our readers.

It is possible, however, that an article is highly relevant only to an audience in a specific discipline.  We will initially publish these articles in specific disciplines in such specialized online magazines as MBR Accounting Review, MBR Business Analytics, MBR Digital Transformation, MBR Finance Review, MBR Information Systems, MBR Marketing Review, and MBR Operations Review.  Once we reach a critical number of papers in a specialized online magazine, we will also publish it in print form.

Impact on Academic Research

The presence of MBR will encourage academics to conduct their academic research in actual organizational settings. While doctors can practice their innovations on patients on their own, lawyers can practice their innovations in courts on their own, and scientists and engineers can create innovative prototypes in labs, management innovators often need companies’ participation to test and improve their ideas.  The proposed magazine has the potential to serve as an influential supplement to what our academic journals publish, leading to a major evolution similar to the one that began in 1959 when reports from the Carnegie Foundation and the Ford Foundation laid out the goals for modern business education and transformed it from vocational training to a rigorous academic and professional pursuit comparable to education in engineering or medicine

In a recent study, we have found that academic research in management and business has made phenomenal contributions to practice since the 1959 reports from the Carnegie Foundation and the Ford Foundation.   We are in the process of updating the study, and if you have any evidence of academic research in management and business making contributions to practice, please share it with MBR by sending an email to Kalyan Singhal at mbr at mbrjournal.com.

Workshops on Research and Writing for Practitioners’ Journals

To help academic authors translate their research into accessible articles, MBR will conduct workshops led by outstanding scholars with strong track records of publishing in practitioners’ journals.  We hope that the workshops will increase the stream of publishable submissions to MBR and other practitioner-oriented publications.

Related Publications and Social Networks

We also plan to develop a Web-Based magazine, Knowledge at MBR, which will be somewhat similar to Knowledge at Wharton, but will cover a much wider range of topics and include authors from all over the world.  While Knowledge at MBR focuses on contemporary concerns, MBR will focus on knowledge about enduring issues.

Every business school or company will have the option of hosting Knowledge at MBR for its constituents and adding its own material for them.  We also plan to create social networks for MBR’s constituents.

Your Feedback

MBR welcomes your questions, comments, and suggestions on any aspect of this plan.  Please send them to Kalyan Singhal at mbr at mbrjournal.com <mailto:mbr at mbrjournal.com>

Advisors

1.     Regina Abrami, Wharton School <>
2.     Paul A. Argenti, Dartmouth College

3.     Anil Arya, Ohio State University

4.     Baris Ata, University of Chicago

5.     Felix Barber, Ashridge Strategic Management Centre

6.     Richard Barker, Oxford University

7.     Caryn Beck Dudley, Santa Clara University

8.     Amar Bhide, Tufts University

9.     John Birge, University of Chicago

10.  Joseph Bower, Harvard Business School

11.  Tyson Browning, Texas Christian University

12.  Andrew Campbell, Ashridge Strategic Management Centre

13.  Dennis Campbell, Harvard Business School

14.  Peter Cappelli, Wharton School

15.  Jeff Cares, Alidale

16.  Bhaskar Chakravorty, Tufts University

17.  Bruce Chew, Monitor Deloitte

18.  Sunil Chopra, Northwestern University

19.  Morris Cohen, Wharton School

20.  David Collis, Harvard Business School

21.  Charles Corbett, UCLA

22.  Tom Davenport, Babson College

23.  Suzanne deTreville, University of Lausanne

24.  Jean-Pierre Dubé, University of Chicago

25.  Murray Dalziel, University of Baltimore

26.  George Day, Wharton School <>
27.  Brian Denton, University of Michigan

28.  Preyas Desai, Duke University

29.  Robert Eccles, Harvard Business School

30.  Andreas Eisingerich, Imperial College

31.  Jehoshua Eliashberg, Wharton School

32.  Peter Fader, Wharton School

33.  Charles Fine, MIT

34.  Alfonso Gambardella, Bocconi University

35.  Giovanni Gavetti, Dartmouth College

36.  Stanley Gershwin, MIT

37.  Pankaj Ghemawat, New York University

38.  Mark Gottfredson, Bain & Company

39.  Vijay Govindarajan, Dartmouth College

40.  Linda Green, Columbia Business School

41.  Alok Gupta, University of Minnesota

42.  Sushil K. Gupta, Florida International University

43.  Andrei Hagiu, MIT

44.  Nicholas Hall, Ohio State University

45.  Gary Hamel, London Business School

46.  Warren Hausman, Stanford University

47.  Constance Helfat, Dartmouth College

48.  Teck Ho, National University of Singapore

49.  Andrew Hoffman, University of Michigan

50.  Kartik Hosanagar, Wharton School

51.  Arnd Huchzermeier, WHU: Otto Beisheim School of Management

52.  Christopher Ittner, Wharton School

53.  Jeffery Inman, University of Pittsburgh

54.  Ravi Jagannathan, Northwestern University

55.  Eric Johnson, Vanderbilt University

56.  Ajit Kambil, Deloitte

57.  Uday Karmarkar, UCLA

58.  Andrew Karolyi, Cornell University

59.  Sunder Kekre, Carnegie Mellon University

60.  Kevin Keller, Dartmouth College

61.  Wolf Ketter, Erasmus University

62.  Nirmalya Kumar, Singapore Management University

63.  V. Kumar, Georgia State University

64.  Howard Kunreuther, Wharton School

65.  Eva Labro, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

66.  Hau Lee, Stanford University

67.  Josh Lerner, Harvard Business School

68.  Baruch Lev, New York University

69.  Arie Lewin, Duke University

70.  Costis Maglaras, Columbia University

71.  Joseph Mahoney, University of Illinois

72.  Ann Majchrzak, University of Southern California

73.  Carl Mela, Duke University

74.  Sunil Mithas, University of Maryland

75.  John Mullins, London Business School

76.  Haig Nalbantian, Mercer

77.  Satish Nambisan, Case Western Reserve University

78.  Paul Nunes, Accenture

79.  Geoffrey Parker, Dartmouth College

80.  Gary Pisano, Harvard Business School

81.  Arun Rai, Georgia State University

82.  Jagmohan Singh Raju, Wharton School

83.  Ananth Raman, Harvard Business School

84.  M Rammohan Rao, Indian School of Business

85.  Michael Raynor, Monitor Deloitte

86.  Stefan Reichelstein, Stanford Business School

87.  John R Roberts, University of New South Wales and London Business School

88.  Johan Roos, Hult International Business School

89.  Aleda Roth, Clemson University

90.  Herman Saenz, Bain & Company and Cornell University

91.  Amy Salzhauer, Good Growth Capital

92.  Sergei Savin, Wharton School

93.  Sridhar Seshadri, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

94.  Alan Sheller-Wolf, Carnegie Mellon University

95.  Jason Shaw, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University

96.  George Shanthikumar, Purdue University

97.  Max Shen, University of California, Berkeley

98.  Anil Shivdasani, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

99.  David Simchi-Levi, MIT

100.        Chester Spatt, Carnegie Mellon University

101.        Kannan Srinivasan, Carnegie Mellon University

102.        Martin K. Starr, Columbia University and Rollins College

103.        Jan-Benedict Steenkamp, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

104.        Jayashankar M. Swaminathan, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

105.        Chris Tang, UCLA

106.        Sridhar Tayur, Carnegie Mellon University

107.        Alex Triantis, University of Maryland

108.        David Ulrich, University of Michigan

109.        Asoo Vakharia, University of Florida

110.        Jan Van Mieghem, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University <>
111.        Rohit Verma, Cornell University

112.        J. Miguel Villas-Boas, University of California at Berkeley

113.        Eric von Hippel, MIT

114.        Wulf Weller, Bain & Company

115.        George Westerman, MIT

116.        Seungjin Whang, Stanford Business School

117.        Jeffrey R Williams, Carnegie-Mellon University

118.        Yoram (Jerry) Wind, Wharton School

119.        George S Yip, Imperial College

120.        Dennis Yao, Harvard Business School

121.        David Young, INSEAD

122.        Jerry Zimmerman, University of Rochester