[AISWorld] Announcing the publication of volume 12 issue 3 of AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction (THCI)

Nah, Fiona nahf at mst.edu
Wed Sep 30 21:57:56 EDT 2020

Announcing the Publication of
Volume 12 Issue 3 of AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction (THCI)
(http://https://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/)

THCI is ranked "A" in the 2019 Australian Business Deans Council (ABDC) Journal Quality List - https://abdc.edu.au/research/abdc-journal-list/.

The September 2020 issue of THCI comprises three papers. The first paper entitled "Human-Centered Artificial Intelligence: Three Fresh Ideas" is a commentary by Ben Shneiderman where he offers three fundamental ideas to the design of Human-Centered Artificial Intelligence (HCAI) by emphasizing the importance of human control and governance structures. The paper provides suggestions for developing reliable, safe, and trustworthy HCAI, as well as fifteen recommendations for the governance structures for reliable, safe, and trustworthy HCAI. In the second paper entitled "Understanding the Interaction between Older Adults and Soft Service Robots: Insights from Robotics and the Technology Acceptance Model" by Loong Yi Lee, Weng Marc Lim, Pei-Lee Teh, Omar Ali Syadiqeen Malik, and Surya Nurzaman, the authors developed a teleoperated human-sized soft service robot and studied its acceptance among older adults. The third paper entitled "The Impact of Anonymous Peripheral Contributions on Open Source Software Development" by Sherae Daniel, Tingting (Rachel) Chung, and Pratyush Nidhi Sharma examined the effects of the ratio of identified and anonymous peripheral contributions on open source software project performance and the moderating effects of developer versus end-user applications.

You can download the papers from this issue at https://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol12/iss3/ or the direct links provided below. You can also upload papers in THCI by visiting the AIS E-Library (http://aisel.aisnet.org/) or the journal website at http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/.

============

In this issue (Volume 12, Issue 3)

============

Paper 1:

Shneiderman, B. (2020). Human-centered artificial intelligence: Three fresh ideas. AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction, 12(3), pp. 109-124. DOI: 10.17705/1thci.00131

Available at: https://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol12/iss3/1/

Abstract:

Human-Centered AI (HCAI) is a promising direction for designing AI systems that support human self-efficacy, promote creativity, clarify responsibility, and facilitate social participation. These human aspirations also encourage consideration of privacy, security, environmental protection, social justice, and human rights. This commentary reverses the current emphasis on algorithms and AI methods, by putting humans at the center of systems design thinking, in effect, a second Copernican Revolution. It offers three ideas: (1) a two-dimensional HCAI framework, which shows how it is possible to have both high levels of human control AND high levels of automation, (2) a shift from emulating humans to empowering people with a plea to shift language, imagery, and metaphors away from portrayals of intelligent autonomous teammates towards descriptions of powerful tool-like appliances and tele-operated devices, and (3) a three-level governance structure that describes how software engineering teams can develop more reliable systems, how managers can emphasize a safety culture across an organization, and how industry-wide certification can promote trustworthy HCAI systems. These ideas will be challenged by some, refined by others, extended to accommodate new technologies, and validated with quantitative and qualitative research. They offer a reframe -- a chance to restart design discussions for products and services -- which could bring greater benefits to individuals, families, communities, businesses, and society.

Paper 2:

Lee, L. Y., Lim, W. M., Teh, P.-L., Syadiqeen, O. A., & Nurzaman, S. (2020). Understanding the interaction between older adults and soft service robots: Insights from robotics and the technology acceptance model. AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction, 12(3), pp. 125-145. DOI: 10.17705/1thci.00132

Available at: https://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol12/iss3/2/

Abstract:

As the world's population increasingly ages, we need technological solutions such as robotics technology to assist older adults in their daily tasks. In this regard, we examine soft service robots' potential to help care for the elderly. To do so, we developed and tested the degree to which they would accept a soft service robot that catered to their functional needs in the home environment. We used embodied artificial to develop an in-house teleoperated human-sized soft service robot that performed object-retrieval tasks with a soft gripper. Using an extended technology acceptance model as a theoretical lens, we conducted a study with 79 older adults to examine the degree to which they would accept a soft service robot in the home environment. We found perceived ease of use, perceived usefulness, and subjective norms as significant predictors that positively influenced older adults' intention to adopt and use soft service robots. However, we also found that perceived anxiety and perceived likability did not significantly predict older adults' intention to adopt and use soft service robots. We discuss the implications, limitations, and future research directions that arise from these findings.

Paper 3:

Daniel, S., Chung, T., & Sharma, P. N. (2020). The impact of anonymous peripheral contributions on open source software development. AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction, 12(3), pp. 146-171. DOI: 10.17705/1thci.00133

Available at: https://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol12/iss3/3/

Abstract:

Online peer production communities such as open source software (OSS) projects attract both identified and anonymous peripheral contributions (APC) (e.g., defect reports, feature requests, or forum posts). While we can attribute identified peripheral contributions (IPC) to specific individuals and OSS projects need them to succeed, one cannot trace back anonymous peripheral contributions (APC), and they can have both positive and negative ramifications for project development. Open platforms and managers face a challenging design choice in deciding whether to allow APC and for which tasks or what type of projects. We examine the impact that the ratio between APC and IPC has on OSS project performance. Our results suggest that the OSS projects perform the best when they contain a uniform anonymity level (i.e., they contain predominantly APC or predominantly IPC). However, our results also suggest that OSS projects have lower performance when the ratio between APC and IPC nears one (i.e., they contain close to the same number of APC and IPC). Furthermore, our results suggest that these results differ depending on the type of application that a project develops. Our study contributes to the ongoing debate about the implications of anonymity for online communities and informs managers about the effect that anonymous contributions have on their projects.

==================

Call for Papers

==================

THCI is one of the journals in the AIS (Association for Information Systems) e-library at http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci. THCI is a high-quality peer-reviewed international scholarly journal on Human-Computer Interaction. As an AIS journal, THCI is oriented to the Information Systems community, emphasizing HCI/UX applications in business, managerial, organizational, and cultural contexts. However, it is open to all related communities that share intellectual interests in HCI phenomena and issues. The editorial objective is to enhance and communicate knowledge about the interplay among humans, information, technologies, and tasks in order to guide the development and use of human-centered Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and services for individuals, groups, organizations, and communities.

To increase awareness and readership, THCI is still freely available to the public, which is beneficial to the authors and the community. You can find information related to all aspects of THCI at its website (http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci), including how to submit manuscripts for publication consideration. We would like to thank the AIS Council (http://www.aisnet.org/) for its continued support of the journal. And, as always, we are happy to announce that we have published the journal on time for every issue, and are building a strong case for a solid impact factor when released by SSCI and Scopus in the near future. The quality of THCI is affirmed by its inclusion as an "A" journal in the Australian Business Deans Council (ABDC) journal quality list.

Topics of interest to THCI include but are not limited to the following:

*   Behavioral, cognitive, motivational and affective aspects of human and technology interaction

*   User task analysis and modeling; fit between representations and task types

*   Digital documents/genres; human information seeking and web navigation behaviors; human information interaction; information visualization

*   Social media; social computing; virtual communities

*   Behavioral information security and information assurance; privacy and trust in human technology interaction

*   User interface design and evaluation for various applications in business, managerial, organizational, educational, social, cultural, non-work, and other domains

*   Integrated and/or innovative approaches, guidelines, and standards or metrics for human centered analysis, design, construction, evaluation, and use of interactive devices and information systems

*   Information systems usability engineering; universal usability

*   Impact of interfaces/information technology on people's attitude, behavior, performance, perception, and productivity

*   Implications and consequences of technological change on individuals, groups, society, and socio-technical units

*   Software learning and training issues such as perceptual, cognitive, and motivational aspects of learning

*   Gender and information technology

*   The elderly, the young, and special needs populations for new applications, modalities, and multimedia interaction

*   Issues in HCI education

The language for the journal is English. The audience includes international scholars and practitioners who conduct research on issues related to the objectives of the journal. The publication frequency is quarterly: 4 issues per year to be published in March, June, September, and December. The AIS Special Interest Group on Human-Computer Interaction (SIGHCI, http://sighci.org/) is the official sponsor of THCI.

Please continue to check the AIS THCI home page (http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/) to see what is brewing! If you have an idea for a special issue, please drop us a line any time.

Sincerely,

Fiona Fui-Hoon Nah, Editor-in-Chief

Gregory D. Moody, Managing Editor
Fiona Fui-Hoon Nah, Ph.D.
Editor-in-chief, AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction
Professor of Business & Information Technology
Missouri University of Science and Technology
101 Fulton Hall
301 W 14th Street
Rolla, MO 65409
Tel: 573-341-6996