[AISWorld] HICCS Social and Criminal Justice Mini Track

Cathy Urquhart C.Urquhart at mmu.ac.uk
Tue Mar 28 09:34:42 EDT 2023

Dear All,

We're delighted to announce our HICCS 2024 Mini Track on Social and Criminal Justice, which is part of the special track: Information Technology, Social Justice and Marginalized Contexts

ICT AND SOCIAL AND CRIMINAL JUSTICE MINITRACK<https://hicss.hawaii.edu/tracks-57/information-technology-social-justice-and-marginalized-contexts/#ict-and-social-and-criminal-justice-minitrack>
Social justice is the belief that everyone deserves fair and equal treatment. ICT and Social justice research refer to studies about actions that promote equal rights, equal opportunities, and equal treatment as well as studies that the use of ICT that uncover social injustice. The guiding principles of social justice are human rights, access to basic elements such as food, water, shelter, safety, education, and opportunities, equal participation in decision-making, and equity to reduce systemic barriers to ensure every individual is treated fairly and equitably.
Criminal justice is an umbrella term that refers to the laws, procedures, institutions, and policies at play before, during, and after the commission of a crime. Criminal justice has two central ideas: Suspects, convicted criminals, and victims of crime all have certain rights. Criminal conduct should be prosecuted and punished by the state following set laws.
Given that ICTs are involved in the way that we as individuals carry out our work and leisure activities, in the way that we organize ourselves in groups, in the forms that our organizations take, in the type of societies we create, and thus in the future of the world, ICTs are thus deeply implicated in criminal and social justice, as information systems inscribe our understanding of the world, and our attendant prejudices. We know for instance, that algorithms embedded in AI can amplify racism, sexism, ableism and other forms of discrimination.

This minitrack invites submissions of original work concerning the intersection of information systems research with social and criminal justice. Studies about the uses of ICT to uncover inequalities and injustice, and to promote justice at all levels (i.e. racial, climate, age, etc. ) and equality and equity for those with fewer privileges such as people of color (POC), refugees and asylum seekers, unhoused, and people with disabilities. We also welcome critical approaches to these topics. We also welcome submissions of research-in-progress as well as those that are practically oriented yet have the potential to make significant contributions to the research in this area. The relevant topics for the minitrack include, but are not limited to, the following areas:

ICT and social inclusion
ICT and racial injustice
ICT and equality and equity
ICT and climate justice
ICT and voting rights
ICT and gun violence
ICT and income gap
ICT and gun violence
ICT and ageism
The application of datafication and AI in criminal justice
Bias and discrimination in algorithms
AI and predictive policing
Big data and risk assessment
Facial recognition in criminal justice
Dataveillance, security, and privacy
Datafication and AI applications in border control
Feminist perspectives in data justice

Minitrack Co-Chairs:
Cathy Urquhart (Primary Contact)
Manchester Metropolitan University
C.Urquhart at mmu.ac.uk<mailto:C.Urquhart at mmu.ac.uk>
Indira Guzman
California State Polytechnic University Pomona
irguzman at cpp.edu<mailto:irguzman at cpp.edu>
Angela D. R. Smith
University of Texas at Austin
angela.smith at ischool.utexas.edu<mailto:angela.smith at ischool.utexas.edu>
Yingqin Zheng
Royal Holloway, University of London
Yingqin.Zheng at rhul.ac.uk<mailto:Yingqin.Zheng at rhul.ac.uk>

Important dates:
April 15: Paper submission begins
- June 15: Paper submissions deadline
- August 17: Notification of Acceptance/Rejection
- September 22: Deadline for authors to submit final manuscript
- October 1: Deadline for at least one author to register for HICSS

See submission details here: https://hicss.hawaii.edu/authors/
Details of the Special Track and our mini track are here: https://hicss.hawaii.edu/tracks-57/information-technology-social-justice-and-marginalized-contexts/

Any questions, please contact the mini track co chairs.

With best wishes
Cathy

Professor Emerita Cathy Urquhart
Department of Operations, Technology, Events and Hospitality Management (OTEHM)
MMU Business School
Faculty of Business and Law
All Saints Campus
Oxford Road Manchester, M15 6BH United Kingdom
T : 0161 247 3798  E: c.urquhart at mmu.ac.uk<mailto:c.urquhart at mmu.ac.uk>
Web: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/business-school/about-us/staff/otehm/staff/profile/professor-cathy-urquhart
Visiting Professor, Department of Informatics, Lund University, Sweden
https://www.lunduniversity.lu.se/lucat/group/v1000028

Published October 2022: The Second Edition of Grounded Theory for Qualitative Research: A Practical Guide

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D96181.8A6F5D90]

https://uk.sagepub.com/en-gb/eur/grounded-theory-for-qualitative-research/book266149#contents

"Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you should read the Manchester Metropolitan University email disclaimer available on its website http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer "