[AISWorld] [External] What you wish you knew

Witman, Paul pwitman at callutheran.edu
Mon Apr 17 09:46:58 EDT 2023

Hi Andrew!

You may get this from others, but here goes: What They Didn't Teach You in Graduate School: 299 Helpful Hints for Success in Your Academic Career 2nd Edition, by Paul Gray and David Drew. I studied with both of the authors over the years. Good people, dry and subtle humor in person and in writing. I actually have the original notes that they produced in 2005 or 6 when I was finishing up grad school. In short, I think it's a great book, and I give one to every new faculty member that we hire at Cal Lutheran, if they're recently degreed.

FWIW, I did a seminar for (Claremont) CGU students called "Done is not a four-letter word." The objective was to help the students focus on getting done amidst the other things going on in their lives. Would be glad to do that online for your students, and will be *retired* by that time, so lots of flexibility. Or you can use the material directly.

Take care and God bless,
PW