[AISWorld] "IS not capable of coming up with native theories" says its senior scholar

Nik Rushdi Hassan nhassan at d.umn.edu
Sun Dec 12 10:43:46 EST 2021

Dear colleagues,
A very distinguished senior IS scholar who has a long string of
accomplishments including chief editorship of top IS journals shared with
me that "I have been doubtful that the IS discipline can come up with
Native Theories. I believe that the IS discipline is simply not ready, not
yet sufficiently developed to come up with Native Theories."
Today, the SIGPHIL at ICIS workshop
<https://sigphil.wordpress.com/9th-concurrent-sigphilicis-workshop-on-products-of-theorizing-towards-native-theories-of-emerging-information-technology-dec-12-13-austin-texas/>
that starts at 1pm CST virtually on Zoom addresses that claim, one way or
another. Will the list of work-in-progress papers, mostly by younger
researchers, vying for a place in the Journal of Information Technology
Special Issue on Products of Theorizing: Towards Native Theories of
Emerging IT
<https://journals.sagepub.com/pb-assets/JIT%20CFP%20SI%20Theory%202022-1638784677553.pdf>,
show that we just don't have what it takes?

What do you think?

--
Nik Rushdi Hassan, PhD and Assoc. Professor of MIS
Labovitz School of Business and Economics
Email: nhassan at d.umn.edu
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/nikrushdi/