[IRIS] Call for papers - DESRIST 2021

Carl Erik Moe carl.e.moe at uia.no
Mon Feb 8 17:11:30 EST 2021

Dear IS researchers in Scandinavia,

apologies for any cross-posting. Please find this call for papers for DESRIST, hosted at University of Agder, and please feel free to forward it.

Best,
Carl Erik Moe
Department of Information Systems
University of Agder

-----

16th International Conference on Design Science Research in Information Systems and Technology (DESRIST)

4-6 August 2021, Kristiansand, Norway

Conference Theme: The Next Wave of Sociotechnical Design

https://desrist2021.org
The design science research (DSR) community has traditionally focused on socio-technical design to improve the human condition, simultaneously considering tasks, technologies, people, and social structures at the individual, organizational, and societal levels. As the field matured, the "design first and people will adapt" approach gave way to methods and frameworks that embrace the evolving needs of users as well as contextual changes over time. Broadly speaking, DSR scholars have taken three approaches. Some work closely with stakeholders and practitioners using action design research (ADR) to gain a deeper understanding into their needs, wishes, and challenges. Others focus on developing novel and innovative artifacts to assist specific target users in pursuing their aims. Still others find ways to make the knowledge created through their DSR projects reusable across contexts and time, so that designers can build on this knowledge and focus attention on developing methods and artifacts of increasing usefulness. What these three approaches have in common is their cognizance of the sociotechnical nature of design.

The recent global developments remind us of the potentials of digital technologies to redesign our lives for the better. In 2020, the DSR community hosted their first ever virtual-only DESRIST and moved various activities online that many would have expected to only work face-to-face. While this was a positive experience, it also brings to our attention the potentially harmful unintended consequences of digital technologies, if not used mindfully. Surveillance, digital divide, and algorithmic biases are among those effects that have been debated in the media and elsewhere. Essentially though, these technologies are first and foremost design artifacts, that is, humans design their instantiations and intentions. What can we, the DSR community, do to help shape digital transformation and innovation to better serve people, organizations, and society?

We need to take a step back and revisit the roots of sociotechnical design to make them relevant in the context of the current social and technological advances, including diminishing boundaries of organizations, platformization, and the productive use of artificial intelligence-. We need to embrace the next wave of sociotechnical design. Our intention for DESRIST 2021 is that it will help the DSR community find its role in this new era by clarifying and strengthening the meaning and scope of DSR. How can we highlight the sociotechnical character of DSR? How do we measure our research impacts, and what have we achieved so far? What are the criteria by which we can show and justify the quality of DSR projects, outcomes, and publications? How can we gain deeper insights into the practice of DSR? How can we, as a field, extend the boundaries of DSR by demonstrating state-of-the-art DSR with and for emerging technologies and organizational practices? Answering these questions will help us make our field ready for the next wave of socio-technical design.

The 16th DESRIST conference welcomes submissions in the following areas, but is open to other thought-provoking DSR pieces. We invite empirical, conceptual, and methodological contributions.

Sociotechnical design
- Highlighting the sociotechnical characters of DSR
- Integrating a better understanding of people, organizations, and society into DSR

DSR Impacts
- DSR and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs)
- Assessing and measuring the impacts of DSR
- Ethical considerations for DSR

The new boundaries of DSR
- Design & platformization
- Design & smart, connected devices
- Design & emergence of control and function
- Algorithmic design

Criteria for Socio-Technical Design
- Criteria for DSR processes and outcomes
- DSR standardization versus creativity
- Representing and formulating the contribution of DSR

Design, Designers, and DSR
- Stakeholders as co-designers
- Design cognition, behaviors, and processes
- Design knowledge in DSR
- Emerging methods and frameworks in DSR

Important Dates
- Conference dates: 4 - 6 August 2021 (DC and Industry Day: 4 August 2021)
- Full paper submission: 5 April 2021
- Short paper submission: 5 April 2021
- Prototype submission: 19 April 2021
- Panel proposal: 17 May 2021
- Research summary for the doctoral consortium: 17 May 2021

Submission Types
We look forward to receiving your full papers, short papers, prototype papers, and panel proposals. We also invite doctoral researchers who are interested to attend the doctoral consortium to submit a summary of their research. Our doctoral consortium brings together early-stage and experienced design science researchers and provides a platform for constructive exchange. You will appreciate the transformational mentorship experience as well as the exciting networking opportunities.

Editorial Process
All paper submissions will go through a double-blind review process conducted by an international review panel. Your paper will be assessed anonymously by two reviewers and managed by the program committee. Your prototype submissions will be handled by the prototype chairs. Your panel proposals will be reviewed by the conference committee and managed by the panel chairs.

Conference Proceedings
The accepted papers will be included in DESRIST Proceedings, published by the Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science.

Conference Committee
Conference Chairs: Carl Erik Moe, Kai R. Larsen
Program Chairs: Leona Chandra Kruse and Stefan Seidel
Doctoral Consortium Chairs:  Bengisi Tulu and Gondy Leroy
Prototype Chairs: Alexander Mädche and Sofie Wass
Panel Coordinators: Amir Haj-Bolouri and Marko Niemimaa
Proceeding Chair:  Geir Inge Hausvik
Industry Chair: Carl Erik Moe
General Chairs: Maung Kyaw Sein, Leif Flak, Matti Rossi, Oliver Müller
Program Committee will be announced on the conference website