[AISWorld] National IS Job Index

Munir Mandviwalla mandviwa at temple.edu
Thu Apr 25 08:16:20 EDT 2013

Dear colleagues

The health of the job market for IS students is an important indicator of
the success of our discipline. Yet, we don't have national level data on
placement, type of jobs, and on related factors such as career services,
preparedness, and search strategies. In fact, today it is impossible to
evaluate the IS job market. To grow as a discipline we need to provide
guidance on the job market to those who choose to pursue a career in IS. To
address this challenge, we are starting a project, first in the US, and then
second in different regions in the world to tackle this problem. If you are
outside the US and are interested in partnering, please contact me.

I invite you to participate in a comprehensive multi-year project that will
produce an annual job index for the field of information systems. The
project is being led by the Association for Information Systems (AIS) and
the Institute for Business and Information Technology (IBIT) at Temple
University's Fox School of Business and is sponsored by Lockheed Martin,
Campbell Soup Company, and Merck and Co. To learn more please visit:
http://ibit.temple.edu/isjobindex/

The project which focuses on collecting survey data from graduating
students, will produce a systematic annual assessment of the IS job market
including demographics (e.g., race, gender, region, type of degree), level
of knowledge (e.g., enterprise architecture, data, solutions, communication,
business functions), job search process (e.g., number applied, satisfaction,
level of preparation, confidence in market), job search success (e.g.,
number of offers, salary, benefits), and job types (e.g., industry, type of
job - analyst, database, development).

Courtesy of our sponsors each student respondent from a school that is on
the list will get a $10 guaranteed gift card and the school will receive a
confidential report. More than 35 TOP IS programs are already participating
(see http://ibit.temple.edu/isjobindex/top-50-schools-is-job-index/ ). We
can accommodate 15 more to create a TOP 50 list of benchmark IS schools. If
your school would like to be included, please contact me at
mandviwa at temple.edu, and provide a rationale.

Best wishes,

Munir Mandviwalla

Associate Professor and Chair of MIS

Executive Director, Institute for Business and Information Technology

Fox School of Business, Temple University

 <mailto:mandviwa at temple.edu> mandviwa at temple.edu, 215.204.5617

 <http://community.mis.temple.edu/mmandviwalla>
http://community.mis.temple.edu/mmandviwalla