[AISWorld] Call for Papers -- Special Issue on the Value of Social Media Data Analysis in the Cutter IT Journal

Mennecke, Brian E [SCIS] mennecke at iastate.edu
Thu Jul 18 11:56:20 EDT 2013

Greetings,

The Cutter IT Journal has released a call for papers for a special issue addressing the Value of Social Media Data Analysis, which is a topic that is likely of interest to many in the IS academic community.  Please address any questions or other correspondence to the special issue guest editor, Matt Ganis.

Cheers,

Brian Mennecke
College of Business
Iowa State University

http://www.bus.iastate.edu/mennecke
phone: 515.294.8100
fax: 515.294.2534
SSRN Author Page: http://bit.ly/KZTlB
Twitter: Mennecke

CALL FOR PAPERS
Cutter IT Journal
Guest Editors: Matt Ganis and Avinash Kohirkar
Abstract Submission Date: 26 July 2013
Articles Due: 30 August 2013

*** The Value of Social Media Data Analysis ***

With the widespread adoption of social media sites such as Facebook/Linkedin/Twitter and the increasing interest in multimedia sites such as YouTube and Instagram, social media has become one of the larger sources of Big Data. This increased volume of data has created a slew of new IT issues to consider -- the most significant one being "What do we do with all this data?" As a result, we're seeing an increased demand for more storage capacity, enhanced needs for compute power and the introduction of new technologies (such as Hadoop), making the investment to undertake a social media monitoring campaign no small task.

With any substantial investment in new technology comes the question of value. Is there enough value in analyzing social media data to justify the expense and effort to examine this mountain of unstructured data? At some point senior management must wonder if it's really worth it. Are we learning anything new from this analysis? Is there sufficient value in the insights and knowledge gleaned to justify the investments in this new technology?

An upcoming issue of Cutter IT Journal with Guest Editors Matthew Ganis and Avinash Kohirkar addresses the value of big data analysis and invites practical guidance, insight and actual case studies on whether or not the knowledge and insight derived from this data is worth the resources spent. We also seek to reveal the challenges organizations will encounter implementing this new paradigm into their market research practices.

Topics may include, but are not limited to the following:

* What are the opportunities associated with social media analysis?
* How do you measure the business value (or real value) of your derived insights?
* What metrics do you collect, analyze and then associate with business value?
* How can corporate IT effectively serve its internal clients using social media analytics?
* What are the IT implications of processing social media content (ie, privacy, infrastructure, security)?
* What are the intangible benefits to big data (career growth, technology upgrades, etc)?
* What are the real demonstrable benefits of social media analysis?
* What are the pros and cons of "actively" engaging with consumers on social media channels?
* Is there a best of breed "methodology" for approaching a social media analytics project?
* What are the implications to the data center as a result of processing/storing/managing high volumes of data?
* Are there any use cases describing the combination of predictive analytics with social media data?
* Are there real benefits to "listening" to what people are saying on Twitter?
* Do you analyze social media influencers? If so, how do you determine who is influential? What are the attributes of social media influencers and how do you measure their credibility?
* Is there a minimum set of skills analysts should have? Is there a certification path or a standard?
* How global is the social media phenomenon? (For example, is the value of social media analysis in China the same as in the United States? Are there cultural differences in the use of social media that need to be taken into consideration)?
* Is there any "value" to storing vast amounts of this data in our enterprise databases?
* How do you turn the data from social media into actionable insight to deliver business value?
* How can or should you interpret social media findings given that the population of participants is not likely to be representative of the entire target population?
* If we are to rely on social media analytics, can hacking or deliberate infusion of misinformation (or volume) be detected quickly?
* Is social media listening worthwhile in a B2B enterprise, or is this for B2C companies only? Is building social media listening queries an art or a science?

TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE IDEA
Please respond to Matt Ganis at ganis[at]us[dot]ibm[dot]com, with a copy to cgenerali[at]cutter[dot]com no later than 26 July 2013 and include an extended abstract and a short article outline showing major discussion points.

ARTICLE DEADLINE
Accepted articles are due by 30 August 2013.

EDITORIAL GUIDELINES
Most Cutter IT Journal articles are approximately 2,500-3,000 words long, plus whatever graphics are appropriate. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact CITJ's Group Publisher, Christine Generali at cgenerali[at]cutter[dot]com or the Guest Editor, Matt Ganis at ganis[at]us[dot]ibm[dot]com. Editorial guidelines are available here: <http://www.cutter.com/content-and-analysis/journals-and-reports/cutter-it-journal/edguide.html>

COPYRIGHT
When you submit an article to Cutter Consortium, you warrant that you (or your employer) are the sole owner of the article and that you have full power and authority to copyright it and publish it. Also, the article you submit to Cutter must be an original; not previously published elsewhere.

Articles published in the journal must meet certain criteria relating to audience, technical content, and presentation. In the unlikely occurrence that, upon selection and editorial review, your completed article does not meet with these requirements, Cutter Consortium reserves the right to decline the publishing of your article in the journal.

For more information on Cutter's copyright policy, please visit <http://www.cutter.com/content-and-analysis/journals-and-reports/cutter-it-journal/edguide.html>

AUDIENCE
Typical readers of CITJ range from CIOs and vice presidents of software organizations to IT managers, directors, project leaders, and very senior technical staff. Most work in fairly large organizations: Fortune 500 IT shops, large computer vendors, and government agencies. 48% of our readership is outside of the US (15% from Canada, 14% Europe, 5% Australia/NZ, 14% elsewhere). Please avoid introductory-level, tutorial coverage of a topic. Assume you're writing for someone who has been in the industry for 10 to 20 years, is very busy, and very impatient. Assume he or she will be asking, "What's the point? What do I do with this information?" Apply the "So what?" test to everything you write.

PROMOTIONAL OPPORTUNITIES
We are pleased to offer Journal authors a year's complimentary subscription and five copies of the issue in which they are published. In addition, we occasionally pull excerpts, along with the author's bio, to include in our bi-weekly Cutter Edge e-mail bulletin, which reaches another 8,000 readers. We'd also be pleased to quote you, or passages from your article, in Cutter press releases. If you plan to be speaking at industry conferences, we can arrange to make copies of your article available for attendees of those speaking engagements -- furthering your own promotional efforts.

ABOUT CUTTER IT JOURNAL
No other journal brings together so many cutting-edge thinkers, and lets them speak so bluntly and frankly. We strive to maintain the Journal's reputation as the "Harvard Business Review of IT." Our goal is to present well-grounded opinion (based on real, accountable experiences), research, and animated debate about each topic the Journal explores.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS CALL FOR PAPERS TO ANYONE WHO MIGHT HAVE AN APPROPRIATE SUBMISSION.

<http://blog.cutter.com/>